Monday 8 November 2010

TechNO-T

We had a new business pitch last week and being in the (perceived) cool and groovy industry of advertising, we thought we’d present on an iPad. There were only two potential clients. It seemed like a good idea.

So we’re in the presentation and all’s going well. Baby cupcakes adorn the table in the appropriately dressed room, the clients are friendly and we’re all making sense – bonus!

Time for me to show a video and I tap the correct button. So far, so good.

‘MWW, can you turn the volume up a bit?’ asks the Creative Chairman.
No pressure. Just me, the Managing Director, the Creative Chairman, the Head of Strategy Planning, two potential clients and an iPad.
‘Sure,’ I say with false confidence.
I hit a button. The screen goes black.
Fuck!!!!

‘Sorry about that,’ I say with false serenity.
I hit the home button and we’re now looking and the Finance Director’s children – one face-painted as a tiger, the other as some other animal – but less distinctive.
‘They're not my children,’ I comment, like anyone cares less, but just desperate the fill the gaping chasm of techno failure.

I slide the ‘Slide to unlock’ and we’re back.
Thank the lord!!

So just to prove I’m not a total idiot, I give it about 5 seconds and attempt the volume thing again….and I hit the same ‘off’ button!!!

Seriously, there are some days I should just be fired in manner befitting my stupidity.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. And you think you were the only one in the room who didn't know that!!! I suspect not.

Mother Who Works said...

Hello motherofamanchild - you'll be pleased to know I did use spell check - I still had a typo! Crap!!!! I have corrected it. MWWxx

Sue2 said...

It's times like these you wish there was a Gen Y in the room...BTW nice title for this article, you might get a job in creative yet!

Anonymous said...

OMG. I laughed so hard! I share my office and my companion was on the phone when I was reading your post so the I had to have this hilarious weezy stiffled laugh which was entirely uncontrollable but in trying to control it I hurt my shoulder. Thanks. Now I'll be thinking of you when I pay my next chiro bill. Too Funny!

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...