Saturday 4 August 2012

Ancient Grain Salad

We had friends over for lunch on Sunday and I bravely tackled the rotisserie on the BBQ - again. (You'll recall the inferno I created at one dinner...). Lamb this time - one leg rather over cooked, the other not bad - but after a couple of champagnes in front of the fire, and the great company of a terrific group of friends I've known a long time, really, who cares??

In fact, the saviour of the lamb was the pear, red wine and rosemary jam that I made a few years back and is still sensational. I need to dig up that recipe and share it. But the other hit I've had lately is an Ancient Grain salad. I ate something like it at Saint Katherine's restaurant in Kew and have made up my own version.

Here's what it looks like:

As usual, my quantities are a big vague - sorry.

The base is Freekeh - a toasted green wheat that you cook a bit like rice (using the absorption method.). I used to be able to buy it at Coles in the health food section, but it disappeared. If you can't get it there, it will be at health food stores. It's really good but if you can't be fagged with finding it, maybe use brown rice instead. Probably about a cup of dry grain. I also cooked some organic black quinoa (you need to simmer it in water for about 20 minutes) that I got at the green grocer. You can buy regular quinoa at most supermarkets now too. Red would also be fine.

Once that's cooked and gone cold, you're ready to add the bits, which are:

  • Toasted almond slivers (I toast nuts and seeds in a cast iron pan - heat it up, no need to oil or anything, and keep a close eye - there's mere seconds between beautifully toasty and burnt!)
  • Toasted sesame seeds - lots
  • Sunflower seeds - you could also toss in some pepitas if you have them
  • Pomegranate seeds - I used two (pomegranates - not two seeds!!)
  • Currants (I forgot those on Sunday)
  • About half a block of crumbled goat's milk feta
  • Lemon juice
  • Cinnamon - lots
  • Loads of chopped flat leaf parley or you can toss through some rocket
  • Sea salt and cracked black pepper (although if kids are eating it, pass on the pepper - and taste it for salt as the cheese is also pretty salty)
  • If you think it's a bit dry (I don't but Elle sometimes does) add a good slug of olive oil
Toss and eat. It's really nutty and flavoursome and the bursts of pomegranate are yum! Makes a great lunch on its own with a slice of olive ciabatta. 

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Stock girl said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! At St Katherine's it is served with a mustard red wine vinaigrette but the lemon juice and olive oil is all these yummy grains need.

motherwhoworks said...

You're welcome! As I said, I made it up, so I didn't know that they used a vinaigrette - thank you! But I agree - best kept simple. MWWx

motherwhoworks said...

Worth the effort JB I promise! MWWxx

Unknown said...

Can't wait to try it. I had an Ancient Grain Salad with Pomegranate at the Plough Hotel in Footscray. It was divine and this sounds and looks the same. Thanks.

Mother Who Works said...

Hope it delivers Re Re!! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...