Thursday 25 November 2010

Excitement


When I was young(er), I got excited by a party, a new frock, a cute boy - usual stuff. Now I’m old(er), I get that thrill from things like a NEW FRIDGE!!!

What has my life come to when I covet nothing more than a fridge the price of a small car? When did that happen? And no, I don’t mean it happened on Monday when the other fridge shat itself. I mean, when did the thrill of a household appliance move right on up there with cute boys??! (Because yes, we all know, I still do like cute boys – but there’s no way I’m taking them home!! I live by the old adage that it’s okay for a girl to work up an appetite as long as she eats at home.)

Tuesday morning, squeezed before the smallest’s school orientation drop off and a board meeting, I sprint into the electrical store and shop exactly the same way I do for clothes. Except for some reason, high prices are really easy for me to resist in clothes – not so household purchases. I run up and the down the aisles of fridges the same way I flick through a rack of frocks – no, no, no, no. Too bulky, not big enough, looks dated already, hate that door, don’t like that digital display…and then I saw it…okay it wasn’t THE most expensive in the shop but it’s getting up there.

I head to work and fantasise about how improved my life will be with that fridge. No, not just improved, complete. I think of all kinds of ways I could possibly justify the purchase. Will the bio-fresh compartment save me thousands a year in fruit and veg currently wasted? (Probably not.) Are the running costs dramatically cheap? (They’re not.) Will its high-tech refrigeration be kinder to the environment? (Doubt it.) Hmmm. Give me time, I am determined to find a way.

So what is it that gives you a thrill? A bathroom tile? A new vacuum? Speak up – confess your desires and please also leave a comment on ways I can possibly justify that fridge!

PS - Cubs all survived on Monday despite sharp knives and hot frying pans.... 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

so the last thrill for me was a new rice cooker / risotto maker. less than 4 days ago. How awesome are they! I wonder what my next thrill of excitement will be?

Anonymous said...

My dishwasher! Bought the most expensive one in the store and carried on to anyone who would listen it was going to change my life forever ie. discipline my kids, make me a latte, keep my house clean, walk the dog!! It didn't do any of those things of course (other than it's deathly quiet, and us Mums like quiet), but it made me feel it would. And that's the important thing MWW!! So go and buy that fridge because there's nothing like feeling that something is going to change your life.

Anonymous said...

I am hanging out for a Thermomix. I swear it will turn me into an organised domestic goddess who can whip up a sorbet in under 2 minutes.

Bought a new fridge at the beginning of the year, and it does give me a little emotional uplift when I open its sleek new doors, check out its bright and fabulously laid out interior. And, it has kept the veges better (post purchase justification). When you get your fridge, can you recommend the plumber you used to connect up the water/ice thingy? Still have not had mine connected!

Mother Who Works said...

Do I know a plumber! I live with one. Where do you live 2.54??

Anonymous said...

Would he really work off his own Melways page to page 60?!!!

Mother Who Works said...

No you right! Map 59 or nothing. Should have it written on his truck.

Anonymous said...

Fridge smidge. What about MY NEW CHANDELIER!!!!!!!! Now there's an emotional uplift for ya!

Anonymous said...

what kind of boys do you like........

Mother Who Works said...

Why are you asking 3.18???

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...