Wednesday 3 November 2010

MBA

So I'm at my desk one day when my boss, MD (Managing Director) yells over the open-plan, in ear-shot of, well, pretty much the entire floor, "Mother Who Works! You'd have an MBA wouldn't you?" Great.
My colleague, Sarah, is facing me with her back to MD. She quietly says, "If that stands for Major Bitchy Attitude, I think you're good."

And sadly, she's right.

I try and keep in under control, but every now and then it gets out - my MBA.

For example: I recently got a tattoo. And an associate, who is clearly not keen on the ancient-art-slash- current-fashion for inking was struggling for something appropriate to say as several other were commenting on my fine choice.
"Did it hurt?" he finally managed, with ill-concealed disdain.
"Why?" I asked, my MBA rising to the occasion "Are you thinking of getting one?"
"Me??" he replied, "God no!"
"Then it's irrelevant, isn't it."
Ouch.

That was not kind and I am not proud. But I think we all have an MBA lurking beneath the surface that can be tempted out with the right provocation. Don't we???

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel famous! Never been quoted in someone's blog before. Might have to print this one out and frame it. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have two words for you, and they're hyphenated: spell-check.

And yes, just because it says anonymous doesn't mean you don't know who I am.

Does this qualify as an MBA?

Anonymous said...

Have to ask as I won't be seeing you for a while...what did you get?

Mother Who Works said...

Okay - firstly, yes, my spelling is careless!!!! I apologise and thank you MOAMC for emailing - I have now made the corrections and promise to take more care!

There are several qualifiers for Anonymous 1.59 - but I think I know who you are.... do the initial BT mean anything to you? (And they're not YOUR initials)

Anonymous 2.04 - I had the children's names put on my wrist - and I think it looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Was it your wrist? I thought it was above your elbow from the photo you sent??!
Now back to the task at hand. Travel and bitches. I felt compelled to write to Webjet today to complain about their customer service. Here I am booking this major trip, VERY excited and I have just put a considerable amount of travel expense through their company. Waiting waiting waiting to get it confirmed - why aren't we hearing anything back??? Anyway, eventually I get an email saying I had to supply photocopies of my drivers license and Visa details (etc etc etc) by 1pm or the flights will be cancelled. No please, thank you for your assistance, kind regards - nothin'! Just send it by 1pm or we'll delete you! Mind you, they sent me this advice at midnight so by the time I saw it this morning I had effectively 4 hours to document the bits they wanted and send them in.
So major customer service Bitch Penny rang up and said look I WILL provide the documents (against the odds mind you because our fax was playing up) - but next time you might like to try 'please' or 'thank you'.
Gawd. I've just realised I sound like my mother. Now I'm depressed AND I'm a bitch.....

Mother Who Works said...

Ha ha ha!! Glad to see your MBA gets an appearance - and to my benefit!!!

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...