Tuesday 2 November 2010

The Glamour of Travel

A friend took her kids on their first big OS trip this year. She shared with me that she was slightly concerned that her kids might come to expect these kinds of trips and become a bit precocious about overseas travel (she was probably looking at my kids as she was saying this….)

‘’You taking them to China for god’s sakes!” I point out. “It’s not like you’re off for a month in a villa in Tuscany and then a few weeks skiing in Aspen then a stop off at Tahiti to recover.”

On our recent Malaysia trip, which I’ve typed about before, I swear, this is a photo I took at one of the toilets at an international airport. Yes, of course there were other, sit-down options, but the small one had quite taken to this type of loo. She didn’t really get the squatting thing and literally stood up with her back to the door and took aim. She got really quite good at it! Although that splash  in the foreground just might be hers.....





And if the toilets aren’t traumatic enough, there’s the in-cabin entertainment on the 2 hour trip to the snorkelling platform on a rough and ready ferry.



I’m not sure if you can see the titles of the video selection in this shot, but they are, from left to right:
•    The Deadliest Sea
•    The one in the top middle I can’t remember - can anyone recognise it? Suggestions welcome!
•    The Perfect Storm
•    The Poseidon Adventure
•    Titanic
•    Twister (no relationship to the sea but still a disaster)
We were lucky enough to have the kids terrorised by The Poseidon Adventure as we crashed through the waves…. nice.

So yes, travel with children I’m sure could be extremely glamorous, but we’re more the circus!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I've been on an Emirates flight where the "locals" decided to squat on the standard issue airline toilet - their aim was appalling! No photos please.
Great in-ferry entertainment. Love it! They missed Jaws!

MWW2 said...

MWW, what are you complaining about? When we moved into our house in Malaysia, there was a squat toilet in the bathroom!!!!!!! OMG, I nearly died - I'd fallen from my palace in the sky in Hong Kong to downtown KL with a big, fat thud.

Had to camp at the Shang for two weeks whilst the offending article was removed...

MWW2

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...