Tuesday 17 May 2016

More sexisim

Gee - sexism is alive and well in the world of real estate (although in fairness, I know plenty who aren't).

Remember the woman at netball who asked if I was a nurse? This one tops even that.

But I'm clearly a woman of menopausal age, which, according to research, means the filter between my brain and mouth is disappearing fast (if it ever existed!) so for god's sake do NOT provoke me!! Or an unpleasant exchange like this one may ensue.

So, picture this; an apartment in the block that overlooks our backyard was open for inspection and Sass was dead keen to have a look on our way to the dry cleaners. Up we popped and discovered you can't really see into our yard at all.
Dad!! Sass yelled over the balcony, knowing Geoff was working on the shed.
What, Sass? he yelled back
You can't see into the backyard from up here.

The real estate agent joined us.
Tell dad to come up .... and bring his cheque book!
Oh hilarious - not. 

Not him, but in the ballpark.


Actually mate, I said (and I rarely use the term 'mate' but I was determined to drag him to my level - up or down, I wasn't sure) eyeballing him, I'm the one with the money*. 

I was so deadpan, I even surprised myself, but it took the stupid grin off his face as he tried desperately to dig himself out of that hole.

Well, he spluttered, they do say the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.

Seriously. 

I'm not talking about raising kids, I quipped, cool as a cucumber. I even hated me by this point. I was being so breathtakingly rude I could have given myself a slap, but I was so riled by his casual, blatant sexism - it was inexcusable behaviour. By both of us.

And we left.

*  I just made up that comment about the money - it's not true - but I was provoked. 

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...