Wednesday 26 February 2014

Karma - not.

I was approached by a homeless guy last Friday afternoon. Sitting outside a city bar with a colleague, we were having a glass of wine and discussing work (really, we were!) when the guy apologised for interrupting and asked if we could spare a dollar.

He said he was staying a a hostel, they were looking after him but he needed a meal. I gave him twenty bucks. He thanked me and then pushed on. Can't really blame him, can you? And I suspect he'd already seen the fiver in my wallet. Could I spare another $5 or $6? He'd be right by Monday but needed to pay the hostel. I suggested he pop down to the City Mission, around the corner from where we were or even the St Kilda Mission, where I've previously volunteered, as either of those would feed him for free.

He assured me he knew all the places. He then apologised for allowing the smoke of his cigarette to drift into our faces. How much are cigarettes? $26? Anyway.... even if he spent my money on fags, good luck to him. He was a friendly guy and we all know it's a short trip from secure to destitute.

But I stood firm, told him I was done, wished him well and he moved on to the next table.

On Monday, I got up and went for a run. A rare occurance that won't be repeated too often. It was dark when I set off so I stuck to the main drag. Well into it,  I noticed a homeless lady on the other side of road. I've seen here around before carrying her four green supermarket bags with her belongings neatly folded into them. She was yelling and with great purpose, crossed straight over without looking, forcing a car to brake and angrily honk the horn. I was was watching but still running. What had got her attention? As I passed where she'd paused, she placed her bags behind a parked car, still cursing and swearing and very agitated - and then I realised!! - she was yelling at me! Not only that, once she'd lightened her load, she started chasing me, screaming 'F@#K OFF!!! JUST F@#K OFF OUT OF HERE! GET OUT OF HERE!' Gee, did I pick up speed. She had quite a pace going and although appearing much older than me, she could run!

I tried to remain calm, contemplate what she might do if she caught me (a slap, a punch?) and kept running - fast. After some time, I mustered up the courage to glance behind to see her abandon the chase with a two fingered salute and head back to claim her things. Phew.

So there you have it, just because you do something you think is nice, don't expect it to come back. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.


6 comments:

WhatJaneSays said...

That swearing homeless lady is often in Toorak Rd. She has been around for years and quite agressive.. she chasing and swears at school kids and people with prams too! She even knocked my friend off her bike as she rode past once!

Mother Who Works said...

Is that right? Oh dear. As my proof reader said, it is very sad. You do woner about each persons individual story and circumstances. I spent the next day wondering what was going on in her head and who she thought I was and what I was doing. It was like I was caught teasing her dog through the fence of her backyard.... MWWx

JayBee said...

I have had a few lucky escapes from this poor woman in my working life when I was about the streets early in the morning. Safer to stay in bed MWW as she seems to be calmer as she [ and I] walks the streets of the city during the day. Like you I have often wondered about her life on the streets and her support systems [ if any ]

Mother Who Works said...

It's terrible isn't JB. I even wonder how the staff and volunteers where she must at least occasionally go cope with her. I didn't know if it was better to stop or run but instinctively, it was flight. Poor lady. MWWx

Krystal said...

Wow! I'm lost for words.I guess your positive Karma is still on its way???

Mother Who Works said...

Either tht Krystal or karma isn't how the universe operates!? MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...