Tuesday 11 February 2014

I've Still Got It!

This is the view from my desk at home. Neighbours be warned! I can see everything that's going on in the street and no one can see me. Perfect.



So when a young couple were having an almighty row at my front gate last night, I got to witness the whole thing. She provoked him, he calmed her down - in fact I thought they were going to pash at one point! Then it escalated again and then calmed again. It was a like an elaborate choreographed ritual.

There was shouting and yelling and the occasional small shove but at the point he grabbed her and physically dragged her, screaming, across my line of vision, it was apparent he'd crossed the line.

Sass was next to me and muttering 'I'm scared.' I later found out Elle was cowering in lane way on the way back from the post box - not sure if she should show herself or stay hiding. It did sound viscious.

'Wait here,' I said and marched out to the front porch.
'Mate!' I yelled using my best angry mother voice. 'That is ENOUGH! Let her go.'
He didn't, but he did stop where he was like a rabbit in the headlights and she kept screaming. I think he was shocked.
'Let her go NOW or I'm calling the cops!' (yes - I said 'cops' - but he was acting like a bogan so I responded in kind).
He let her go. And headed up the road to the pub. She ran in the other direction towards the train station with a quick 'thank you' to me over her shoulder.

Ahhhh... the power of the angry mother voice. Still works like a charm on 20-something men!

4 comments:

Fashionista said...

Good work! The angry mother voice was not something I read in the baby books, but I don't reckon I had it BC. I do find the Mother Death Stare can be useful. And of course the "can I help you?" delivered with a questioning look (best works in conjunction with surprise).

Mother Who Works said...

Exactly Fashionista! No one should ever under estimate the skills of control be have honed as mothers - and I mean EVER! MWWx

JayBee said...

Good on you! The old teacher voice still has impact too! Not with the family tho - they tell me not to bother using it

Mother of a Man-Child said...

Brilliant work MWW. Excellent role model for your daughters - showing them it's a good thing to interfere (when you're a mother with a stern voice)!! I still use it regularly at home with the men-children - has less impact on them these days than on complete strangers. :)

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...