Monday 11 November 2013

Dress De Jour

My business partner Mandy and I were at Oaks Day on Thursday, entertaining clients. That makes it sound so legitimate - and is was - but we were also just having a ripper day with some great chicks who we happen to work with.


But, the big surprise of the day was this ubiquitous pink dress.


Anyone else see one? Or ten??

There were three within a two car-park radius of our spot and we spotted a couple more floating by as the day progressed. We were in the section called On The Rails which would be one of the smallest and we guessed there were at least seven in our enclosure. One of our guests, Sue, sent us this pic as she'd spotted yet another on the train on the way home.


Mandy thought it may be a Manning Cartell - I said more likely the major department stores - Myer or David Jones. So intrigued were we than Mandy bravely approached a champagne-sodden wearer (the fifth we'd spied), said how much she loved her dress (liar), and asked what brand it was. The wearer was so tanked she couldn't speak - in fact, she was having trouble standing - but indicated Mandy was welcome to check the label herself - Country Road. Reminded me exactly why I don't buy it - well, the fact that it's ubiquitous and over priced....

So there you have it ladies, for $179 you too could be wearing the same dress as probably thirty people across the course on the same day. Maybe a hundred over the entire carnival - maybe more.

It probably doesn't really matter - it is a great colour. The girl above clearly looks gorgeous in it but some, dare I suggest, could have done with a better choice of undergarments....

PS Please excuse typos etc as my proof reader isn't recieving my emails... technical issue. Dn't you hate those!




2 comments:

Fashionista said...

Hello MWW. I laughed out loud at your "...better choice of undergarments" observation. I went to Derby Day (and only saw two of these pink frocks) and observed numerous instances of inappropriate underwear covering the full gamut of none at all (WTF?? how can you possibly leave the house with NO knickers? Then wear a frock so tight and short that we all know you have no knickers on?!). To black bras & knickers under white outer garments (a particular hate of mine which doesn't pass muster as a B&W outfit for Derby Day however I was thankful they were wearing knickers). To too tight underwear that made the lassie look like a rolled roast (and not in an appetising way). To spanx that were showing below the hemline (words fail me). And I haven't even started on the completely inappropriate nightclub frocks and fake tans that were more marinated tan rather than spray tan. God I do sound like a grumpy old woman! But then there were the thousands who wore gorgeous frocks and hats and shoes and looked amazing and make you smile at the whole spectacle which is the Spring Racing Carnival.

Mother Who Works said...

Hmm. I did reply Fashionista but it seems to have disappeared?! Loved your 'rolled roast' analogy - too true! And just unnecessary as a look. Although I have been watching a bit of TVSN and am thinking their underwear/outer wear 'shapewear' is starting to have appeal...
But back to the races. I think it needs a shake up. I agree with The Age - all too homogenous - knee length fitted frock, a cap sleeve and a sculptured thing on your head - all needs a bit more imagination! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...