Sunday 24 November 2013

Fair Fairy Floss

Last Sunday was the local school fair. I confess, my contribution to that school's activities and fundraising has typically been pretty negligible. Only because there is an army of amazing women who run those events like a military operation and I figure I might as well focus my attention to causes that don't have that kind of support.

But this year I did put my hand up for a stint on the Fairy Floss stall. Seriously peeps, that stuff should be classified as a health hazard. It's artificially coloured pink sugar poured into a heated centrifuge and then spun into a floss guaranteed to weasel its way into every nook and cranny of your teeth. It's like fertiliser for decay. Not to mention that by the end of my shift I had that sticky pink stuff in my hair and on my face and stuck all over my clothes and watch. I kept thinking it was hair in my face but as I tried to brush it away - nup, more floss.

Getting that stuff onto a stick is an art I'm not certain I've mastered. I was making an awful lot that resembled those crazy extra-long sock-hats - they just needed a pom pom on the end. I had to try and flick the long tail back around the the main mass. They amused me!

Sort of like this but pink and fluffy...




The kids demanded I made them huuuuuge, the parents insisted I make them small. I tried to please every one.


But the real damage came when I banged my fingers on that spinning grater-like thing in the middle and later that night my shalac peeled off :(

Anyhow, an hour and half later of continual flossing and we'd gone through a staggeringly small amount of sugar - probably less than a kilo so about a dollars worth.  I estimate we made about 150 sticks at $3 a pop meaning the school was about $450 better off. Not a bad ROI!

PS Please excuse typos - my Proof Reader's had a huge weekend so I've decided not to bother her tonight...



2 comments:

JayBee said...

Then they wouldn't miss the amount for a shellac claim!!!!!!!

Mother Who Works said...

Quite JayBee!!! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...