Tuesday 12 November 2013

4x4x4

No,  not 64. I mean the four-wheel drive beasts that line the narrow streets around our local primary school. One parks on either side of the road as two aim to pass by each other in the narrow gap that remains.

I used to drive a van and people had respect for van-drivers. Not so drivers of a 4x4. And rightly so I might add.

Before the van I had a Pajero and I remember well the time it needed a service. The kids and I got up extra early, drove to Burwood to drop it off and collected a loan car - a Colt - in an unfortunate shade of copper that forced me to dub it 'The Poo.' The kids were small but filled the car and the boot barely had room for school bags!


From this....
.... to this.


Nevertheless, off we shot!

As we hurtled into the narrow street to school, I found myself confronted by a very large, very European 4x4. I had actually entered the tunnel of similar vehicles first - not that the driver cared as she bore down on us and mouthed some pretty clear words at me. Bloody hell! Just because you drive a big car and I'm in a little poo does NOT make you queen of the road.... but actually, it did. She refused to budge. Frankly I was lucky she didn't decide to drive right over the top of me, monster-truck like. So I popped the poo into reverse and edged out backwards. I wound my window down in the hope of sharing a few choice words back at my persecutor but sadly, she didn't want to play. She ensured her electric window remained tightly sealed, stared straight ahead and, I suspect, turned up her classical music in case her nerves of steel needed calming.

One to her.

I dropped the kids and tootled off to work. I always kept an eye out for this 4x4 bully, but frankly, she was lost in the sea of sameness.....

I wonder when they planned those little streets around that little school if they ever envisaged that it would be inhabitated by such creatures?


2 comments:

JayBee said...

Oh, such wonderful memories of these b$^$#s and their beasts!!!!!!! I especially loved their suggestion that they not park at all but swing in and have me waiting [ probably from 8.30 until lunch time] to catch the darlings as they swung out. Those were the days and some wonder why I enjoy retirement!

Mother Who Works said...

Ha! Good to remind yourself of these things every now and then JB. Did they even slow down as they shot past to discharge their charges??

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...