Thursday 2 June 2011

A Couple of Quick Soups


After uni, my parent felt so sorry for me having persistently limped through my commerce degree, with two majors in accounting, (happily my social life was far more energetic!) that they sent me to cooking school. I’ve always enjoyed food and cooking (probably the later is motivated by the former!) So for something different, I thought I’d share a couple of quick soup recipes I made up as part of my artillery in my war against those 5 kg I need to lose.
I’d really love some feedback if you like this kind of post. My recipes are always pretty loose, which again, may or may not appeal. Let me know what you prefer because I can make them tighter
It’d also be good to know if you’re having problems posting comments – as I regularly have issues! So if you can’t comment, please drop me an email motherwhoworks@gmail.com
Asian Style Chicken Noodle Soup
In a large pot, bring 2 litres of chicken stock to a simmer (Campbell’s is pretty good if you don’t have any  – and no – I’m not being paid to say that!!). Add 3- 4 sliced skinless chicken breasts and poach for a few of minutes.  Add about half a packet of Pad Thai (wide) rice noodles (from the supermarket) and a punnet of slices Swiss Brown or shitake mushrooms. Simmer for about 10 minutes and that’s it. You could also add spring onions or small broccoli flowers.
When serving, add a generous handful of fresh coriander, a big squeeze of fresh lime juice and several splashes of fish sauce (or Tamari if you’d prefer). Add chili if you like it hot.
It’s a really tasty, fat free, salty and sour concoction. The chicken provides protein too, which keeps hunger at bay for longer. You can keep it in the fridge for days and just microwave the base soup, adding the fresh condiments at eating.
Green Vegetable Soup
This one was inspired by what was left in the fridge, so quantities don’t really matter. Sautee a couple of diced onions in a mere splash of olive oil in a big pot. I added lots of chopped celery, 2 bunches of asparagus, about 2 continental cucumbers (peeled), broccolini and broccoli (including the stalk – peeled.) Toss it all around for a bit then add chicken stock until veggies are covered (add a bit of water too if you need). Add 3-4 chopped up big potatoes and simmer the whole thing until all the veggies are soft. Give it a burl with the Bamix until it’s smooth-ish. If you don’t care for it so thick, add more stock/water. Serve with sea salt crystals and cracked black pepper. It’s surprisingly tasty! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just cooked up a batch of your Green Vegetable Soup. Very tasty and I think the healthiest thing I've eaten in months! Thanks for the inspiration Sue, Alison

Anna Garcia said...

Yes, I Love soup! www.Couponanna.com

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...