Friday 17 June 2011

Sick-instinct.


Yep. You absolutely know you’re a mother when that little one has crawled into bed next to you with a sore tummy and an ‘I feel sick’ and two minutes later –was it a small noise, intuition?– instinctively you’re leaping out of bed, dragging the small fry with you and straight to the bathroom for the predicted big chuck. For 22kgs, she can project with incredible force. She must have abs of steel.
It was close. It hit the cupboard doors and gushed all over the tiles – but better than the possum-skin blanket and carpet in our bedroom. It’s 2.45am as I pop her in the shower and mop up a bucket or two of sick. ‘Wash your mouth out,’ I instruct.  ‘Why?’ she asks. Hmmm, pretty self-explanatory I would have thought.
She’s all shivery but snuggly in clean jarmmies and back in her own bed, as am I, and it’s only 3.05am. Job done!
Until of course, I wake to footsteps thumping through the house and a big ‘Muuuum!’ before the big burp-slash-yodel-slash- spattering of vomit all over the kitchen floor. At least that’s floorboards. Jarmmies off and back in the shower. It’s now 4.15am, an hour and a half before my get-up time. She doesn’t want any jarmmies this time and I can’t be bothered to argue as I wipe sick off the kitchen wall. She goes back to bed nude.
6.45am and I’m waking up the 12 year old to discover the small nude one must have gotten cold and crawled in with her. Spread the joy, I say! The little one rushes out of bed and throws up – right into the toilet! – she’s getting really good at this.
So here I am, working from home for the second day in a row. The 12 year old has just walked in from school with an ‘I feel so sick. I’m going straight to bed.’ Who’d have thought?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh gosh, I hear ya! What is it with kids? You put a bucket by their bed, and they throw up right NEXT to it!?!? Once my son was almost at the bathroom when he lost it in the cold air return vent. 2:00 a.m. of course, lol! Thanks for sharing - so funny when it's someone else! ; )

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...