Sunday 27 February 2011

Positive Parenting

Late last year, a friend was lamenting the request of her 15 year old daughter to get a Brazilian. Naturally her response was absolutely not and do have any idea how much that costs?

I’m not sure that would have been my response as I like to enthusiastically embrace all my kids’ pursuits. Like when my son wanted to smoke. He and his friend were spotted by a relative trying to get cigarettes out of the machine while we lunched at the local pub.

“Do you want to smoke?” I asked – actually, encouraged.
“Sure,” he responded, innocently.
My sister-in-law provided said cigarette and we all headed out to the deck (at home – not the pub – this kind of parenting definitely doesn’t require an audience will mobile access to child protection!)
“Okay, so if you want to smoke, you need to do it properly. Let’s practice some really deep breathes, right to the bottom of your lungs. That’s it! Good boy. Now if you’re going to smoke, you need to smoke the whole cigarette. Okay? Promise?”
This was too easy….

So I lit up, passed it over and he inhaled deeply. Tears streamed from his eyes and he was coughing furiously.
“That’s great! Keep going!” I cheer led him through the entire ordeal. And yes, pretty much managed to put him off smoking for the rest of his life. So much so, his friend’s mother asked me to repeat the exercise for him too.

Faced with a request for a Brazilian, I think I’d be making the appointment and then casually throw into conversation about having not been in ‘that position' since giving birth, ‘knees to your chest’ or ‘tweezers’….so many indignities, so many options!!!

Or failing that, driving straight to the supermarket to buy a home kit and saying sure, but you’ll need to do it yourself – that ought to fix it!!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, my father made my sister smoke a whole packet in one hit until she threw up after she was caught behind the trees smoking at primary school. Didn't work, she still took the habit up as an older teen.

Home kit would work doubt indignity will work, pain should. But, I am going to take my daughter straight to the laser clinic if her hair darkens from it's current blonde - but just around the edges. All off can wait until she has left home.

Mother Who Works said...

Laser, eh, anonymous 12.28? Have you read my blog on Laser Hair Removal ? It was September last year.... have a read, might not be the obvious solution..... MWWx

lachyl said...

MWW - I completely approve of your method of parenting.

Had my mother have done the same thing, I wouldn't have had the guts to go out and properly learn how to inhale!

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...