Wednesday 16 February 2011

The Interview

I had someone come in for an interview today. Well, more of a chat really as it wasn’t for a specific position. But I like to know what’s out there for when we are hiring. Our agency is on a roll so there’s no shortage of young hopefuls wanting to sign up. I’ve seen a few potential candidates recently so I am getting the lay of the land. Today, however, was a barren patch.

It started well, full of confidence and enthusiasm, but headed south after the small talk when we got down to business. Seriously, it was akin to me turning up at Freehills asking to be a lawyer because I love C.S.I. – and therefore, with that degree of passion and commitment, surely you’d want to take me on. No?

I did try and probe, give opportunities for her to prove me wrong, but alas, the more she talked, the worse it got. I had glanced at her CV but asked what packed goods experience she had. She named a big client – in fact, one I’d been looking after for the past 4 years. I’d never seen her before today. Clearly not a prominent role.

Okay, try again. Ever had to resolve a tricky client issue?
‘You mean like a deadline that they refuse to shift and you have to stay til midnight to get it done?’
‘Ah…no. No, not that kind of ‘tricky’ issue.’

She remained bold enough to say that if we were prepared to take her on and 'hold her hand for a few months', she could be really good (frankly, we need recruits to hit the deck running – nay, sprinting!)

Okay, I do hope it wasn’t just my MBA coming to the fore,  (I was feeling a little officious by that point), but I decided the best thing was to tell her like it is. I did pre-empt it by saying she’d probably never see me again (that sounds really bad now I type it!!!) but I hoped it was helpful. She should try some other ways in to a big agency, perhaps starting somewhere smaller or in related discipline like events or promotions – just to get some experience in some basics. I even committed to put her touch with a colleague who might be able to give her some more direction (in case I hadn’t given her enough!)

I’m not sure my sage advice was appreciated. It certainly knocked the wind from her sails – which wasn’t my intention - more of a reality-check.  But maybe next time it’d be easier for everyone if I just shut the fuck up because I’m sure I ruined her day and I’ve clearly been feeling pangs of guilt.

I’m ditching the polls – so you’re going to have to write ‘comments’ on what you think I should have done….


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a chalkboard wall in my house. I encourage friends to write words of wisdom there. Someone wrote on it yesterday "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" (Credit for that quote was given to Thumper Rabbit from Bambi.) Now, that's sweet but I don't live in Disneyland and I don't think you work there. So, truth, especially in the work place, is not guilt-worthy. You did the right thing. And you were compassionate by offering to put her in touch with others. If you can be truthful and deliver the truth in a compassionate way be proud.

Unknown said...

pre-empt it by saying "she’d probably never see me again" ?!? If that was the softener what was the punchline!

Bahahahahahaha!

I so wish I was there.

I hate myself for laughing.

lachyl said...

Thank GOD Meldrum interviewed me!

MP said...

Oh well, if she can't survive a bit of a battering to her confidence and enthusiasm it's probably not the field for her!

Mother of a Man-Child said...

MWW, I am a little alarmed that you are sending these posts at 2.38am!!!
I know you are superwoman, but that is bordering on ridiculous. Or have you not set your blog to the Australian time zone yet?
My point of view - I probably wouldn't be that harsh with someone i'd just met. I would have let is slide. Otherwise you'd be offering that sort of advice to every second candidate who applies for a job and thinks they've got it in the bag.

Mother Who Works said...

Hi MMC, my posts get flicked out some hours time after I've posted them - I have no idea - clearly not to screen out ones that use the word FUCK. The gig's up now - I'm sure every one thinks I don't sleep!!!
I did seriously consider NOT saying anything, but I figured it's not going to get her anywhere. Cruel to be kind? But yes, I concede, I could have been a bit gentler...

Anonymous said...

Silly me, I thought agencies only recruited on looks, dress and whether their parents were friends of a director.

I am surprised she didn't tell you that in a couple of months she probably could do your job.

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing - next time she will have some more idea of what to do. What a kind and sweet person you really are deep down!

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...