Sunday 13 February 2011

Last first day at school!

How different with the fourth! For the oldest, we’d had practise runs in the park with a lunch box to make sure he could manage the Gladwrap, having come straight from a crèche which provided hot lunch. (Those were the halcyon days for the mother who works!) The build up was huge with everyone asking if he was looking forward to school and counting down the sleeps. No wonder he was a nervous wreck when the day arrived. Never the less, emotions barely under control, he braved the day and survived.

This was in marked contrast to last week with the last one, who really, could not care less. It fact, had she thought of it, I’m sure she would have given me the W.E. M. (What Ever Mother) fingers. As she pushed past the kid crying in the doorway to her classroom, I didn’t even get a cursory glance. ‘Baby!’ I called, ‘How about a kiss goodbye?’ I got the ‘if I must’ look and quick peck before she was off.

Also in contrast to the one who’s just started high school in her Shabby Chic uniform, I did manage to fly into Target and grab her one new school dress. There was only one size 4 left, after that it was size 16 – typical! But for $12 on special, I thought for day one of the next 13 years, I could probably stretch to that.

It did get me thinking though, how much anxiety kids take on from us. As I recognised the angst –ridden look on the faces of so many parents at the first day drop off, and how that was me a mere 12 years ago, no wonder our poor son was nervous. I don’t know about you, but I think I was so caught up in my own worries about how he'd get on that I was completely unaware of the connection.

What do you think? Should we consciously be trying to manage our stress in front of kids, or is that just the way life is?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure about an answer. Both mine are the complete opposite in every way, one doesn't get bothered by the life and is happy as a pig in mud for pretty butterfly flapping about in the sunshine when the other is more cautious,controlling and will not do anything until she is absolutely certain it's okay. My Lucia just started prep and we were anxious that she would HATE IT but funnily enough we've been pleasantly surprised the she loves school, homework and Susie her teacher. Where as Georgiana went into Grade 2 very happy but for the first time was anxious about where lunch order goes and struggled to get out of bed as she didn't quite know where to line up.

In both cases we showed our stress so maybe it really is just how life is.

Anonymous said...

Of course we should manage our stress in front of children, just as we shouldn't drop the F word when driving, drink before 12 etc. But we are only human. The first child hasn't learned from his/her sibblings either. Number four has been absorbing all the information from their sibblings.

Mother Who Works said...

You're both right. Kids are all their own little productions, aren't they? Each as unlike their siblings as they may be alike. And the order of birth does play such a huge role in our development - you can so see why! Someone did point out what our youngest lacks in knowledge about The Wiggles and Dora, she certainly makes up for in Modern Family and Miley Cyrus!
MWWxx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...