Tuesday 1 February 2011

Shabby Chic.....

Can the term apply to a school uniform for a fancy private school? I have no idea but my daughter (or is that 'dorta'?) is about to find out.

Although number 3, she’s the first in the family to attend private school. The older two’s disability precluded that option. Not because we decided that, but government regulation restricts assistance to kids with special needs if you move them into the private system. I’d call it discrimination, but there you go, and this isn’t really the forum for my campaign for reform.

So I get the uniform list and once I've stopped opened and shutting my mouth like a goldfish as I scan the prices, I decide second hand it is. When I was at school (another fancy-pants establishment) the older the dress the better. But have things changed?


Like all mothers, I’m desperate for my kids to fit in, but when a blazer is over $200 and a hat over $60, the whole package is looking like I won’t see any change from a grand at least, I’m thinking we can at least explore the second hand option.

We get to the uniform shop and a mother I don’t know sidles up to me and mutters, ‘Can I have a word with you please?’ I look blank. ‘In private,’ she nods her head towards the door. I meekly follow her out wondering if she’s been caught short and is in need of a tampon….but no, she has two, ‘virtually brand new’ blazers in her car she’s willing to sell me. Slightly awkward. I say if it’s the right size, sure, I’d be interested. It turns out they’re 3 sizes too big.

I later discover that the second hand uniform shop is run solely on ‘donations’ with no cash going the way of the previous owner – and all becomes apparent!

Is anyone else doing the second hand thing? Am I alone? Am I mean???

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

MWW you're a fashionable woman!!! No doubt you could emulate your 'ripped jeans' style on your daughters uniform and she'll be the coolest kid in the class for sure!

Anonymous said...

Or Safari Style. Or Ballerina Style. She will be the coolest little chick in the whole place.

Mother Who Works said...

Thank you anonymous! Mwah!!

Anonymous said...

I'm also thinking the 'Posh Spice' look could also be highly appropriate...

Mother of a Man-Child said...

Long live second hand. You need to find someone with a daughter 2-3 years older than yours, so they can sell you their pre-loved goods direct - or better still kindly "donate" them to you.
My boys got everything for year 7 new with plenty of growing room, but if they lose a piece it's off to the swap shop.
Pity the parents of a boy who had his new school bag and entire new school uniform stolen in the first week of Year 7 - nice practical joke?

Mother Who Works said...

Yikes! No, that wouldn't be funny. In fact I have (with the help of my friend Penny) sewn name tapes on most items. I grew up understanding this was the 'proper' way to mark your claim, until one of my older kids had a brand new jumper stolen and the tag clearly removed. The cheek!! So black texta on the collar was the solution from there on in. But this is a fancy establish.... is black marker just too crass???

Another MWW said...

Sneaky trick... turn the item inside out and sew the label on the sleeve or inside leg... somewhere the thief would not expect to look! Although, how do we then recover the stolen item when they all look the same. Can't exactly go around accusing private school kids of stealing now, can we?

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...