Tuesday 5 May 2015

Sharp As

One of the essential ingredients for a great Gravlax (you can find my recipe on that link) is a sharp knife.

I realised this when discussing my project with the guy at the fish shop so asked where he has his knives sharpened or if he uses a visiting service I could jump on to. He scoffed. He sharpens his own knives and said he'd be happy to do one of mine for the gravlax.

On my next visit, I took my knife of choice, wrapped in a tea towel in my hand bag. Can I tell you how weird it is to walk into a shopping centre with a large kitchen knife concealed on one's 'person'?

He was pretty underwhelmed by the quality but said he'd do his best. I knew they were crap (Geoff bought them) but good to have it confirmed. I still have my old knives from cooking school days, which are Sabatier, but they're carbon steel so worn and a pain to keep clean. I asked what he'd recommend and he said Global are great.

After doing my shopping, I popped back to collect the knife. He demonstrated its edge by shaving his arm (I wasn't sure if I was dazzled or slightly horrified) and kindly refused any payment. I held open my tea towel and he dropped it in before I tucked it back into my bag.
Don't go committing any crimes with that, he said.
I just laughed because it was so ridiculous, but still asked why.
It's got my fingerprints all over it.
Good point!

So, here we are, a few weeks later, and I'm the proud owner of new knives and goodness what a difference! Before now I may as well have been tearing up meat and vegetables with my bare hands.

Can they go in the dishwasher? Geoff asked.
I don't think we're that far along yet, quipped Elle quietly.
No! They cannot go in the dishwasher!! I yelled, as if they'd suggest the treatment for a new kitten.
Told you, said Elle quietly to Geoff.

Anyway, if you've been battling away with substandard knives, let me evangelise the joy of proper sharp knives!





1 comment:

Fashionista said...

Good kitchen knives are the best. I've been known to take my knives with me on weekends away when I am expected to do some sort of food preparation. I've got a Scanpan set and love them. And they most certainly DO NOT go i the dishwasher, that takes the edge off them.

One of my obscure skills is knife sharpening, my Dad taught me how to do it with a steel and a stone. I sharpen the knife for a couple of minutes before each use, that way the edge is kept on it.

Enjoy your lovely new knives!

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...