Thursday 14 May 2015

Nocturnal Comfort

I'm obsessed.

I don't know whether it's an age thing but really, it's reaching frenzy point.

Which is odd really because these days, there is a good chance I will actually have a full night sleep.

I had nearly 20 years of babies that didn't sleep, including when George and Jaz both lost their natural sleep patterns that not even hard drugs could fix. They required all sorts of attention throughout the night. At one point, it was so dire, we were given an overnight nurse twice a week just so we could recuperate enough to keep doing it.

Maybe then I was just so sleep deprived and exhausted it just didn't matter. I probably could have slept standing up. But now I have the time, energy and inclination to pursue this ridiculous obsession. Either that or it's menopause!

My nook.

Many of you will be aware of the linen store that has a Linen Lovers loyalty program - and naturally yes, I'm a member. I do buy plenty from them but it doesn't keep me loyal. If I see something that looks like it'll add to the perfect night's sleep - especially online around 11pm as I'm finishing up some work - I'm sold.

My sheet collection (white only!) includes:
  • 1000 thread-count Egyptian cotton (a bit over rated - apparently 'thread-count' and 'Egyptian' aren't fool-proof measures)
  • 'hotel quality' (these are good - heavier and a bit 'crisp' - I think I prefer crisp over soft)
  • bamboo (which are even better as they are quite heavy and I like that) 
  • and most recently, 100% pure linen
I don't think I'd slept in linen sheets since I was the hired help at Bolton Abbey in Yorkshire back in the 1980s. The housekeeper told me they were used so infrequently they were well over 100 years old. The family I worked for were peers no less, so etiquette dictated I call them Sir H and Lady H but unlike the other hired help, and being Australian, I just couldn't come at m'lord or m'lady without sounding so insincere it was insulting. They hosted their friends for hunting parties at the lodge at the Abbey and had game keepers, guns, dogs - and hired help! Seems like a dream now - but it did happen. It was their private holiday residence and after a quick Google search, I think it might now be a hotel. The one I found has 40 bedrooms - so that's probably about right!

Anyway, I don't think I noticed the linen so much then - but I've certainly noticed now - they're lovely!!!

I'm also obsessed with having the window open so I can snuggle in under the possum fur throw (from New Zealand where such products are not only acceptable, they're applauded give the damage those guys do to the native vegetation.) We also have a woollen underlay and a bamboo mattress topper that promises 'cloud-like' qualities. It's a wonder I ever leave my bed.

And unlike some people who swear that a TV in the bedroom is sacrilege, we have a TV, I often watch catch up TV on the iPad, I always have my phone by my bed for a few quick moves in Words With Friends and to check my emails before I get out of bed, and I have whatever book I'm reading as well as the next couple in the pile. It's my relaxation zone.

How's your bedroom? A haven from electronics? Does that work?


1 comment:

Fashionista said...

Pure linen sheets are the BOMB! I acquired two sets from an op-shop (for such a pittance I felt a bit mean shoving them in my bag as quick as I possibly would) and they are truly divine. Sadly when we got a new mattress they didn't fit any longer, however they set the bar for the quality of the new sheets for the new mattress. As an added bonus the linen sheets also make great stand-in tablecloths.

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...