Friday 1 May 2015

Formal Business

I tell you what, these school formals are big business. Elle is currently having her hair blow waved for her Year 11 formal and it's got me thinking about what an event like this generates.




Here's my estimation per 'couple':
  • Ticket for student and date   $190
  • Frock  $130 (I've just picked an average - hopefully some are wearing something they had or borrowed, some are very expensive!!)
  • Shoes $150
  • Accessories/bag/Hollywood tape/special bra to fit dress - $80 (I'm not kidding - I'm guessing every one has had a heap of 'extras')
  • Nails  $40 (toes and fingers - again averaging shellacs, manis and pedis that could have that over $100)
  • Make up $90 (yes you get it back in product, but product you'd not otherwise have bought so that doesn't mitigate the damage)
  • Spray Tan (most girls now look like come from a different ethnicity than that to which they were born) $40
  • Hair $30
  • Transport from pres to event, from event to after party $40
  • Corsage $30
  • Button hole flower $12
  • Some extremely kind and generous parents are hosting pres and the after party - so I have no idea what that adds - let's have a stab at $60 for both (including parents at the pres) so $120
  • I'm assuming the boys had a suit and, if necessary, can wear their school shoes!
So about $952 per student, including date. What the heck - let's call it a grand! I had no allowance for eyebrow waxing or eye lash extensions or the essential hair cut and colour two weeks ago -  so I think that's not unreasonable! In fact, it's probably a tad light on.

So if there's 100 of the year level going, there's $100k!!

Not to mention the time running around and organising and appointments and emails of consent because they're all under age.....

You'd think they were getting married!

The school doesn't endorse a Year 11 formal - and I don't blame them. Again, some incredibly fabulous mothers have pulled it all together.

It's on tonight and the excitement reached frenzy point about.... let's think.... a week ago? So much so that in fact, they're all a bit over it already. Some have gone off their dresses, their shoes, their dates - the whole idea. Which might be just as well as I was worried that their expectations were such that they could only be disappointed.

Anyway, they will have fun and create some great shared memories with what will turn out to be some life-long friends - even if it does cost a small fortune.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, please reopen the voting... No 4 please....

JayBee said...

Boys a suit and school shoes!!!!!! Try suit, shirt, cuff links, tie bar, haircut etc. a small fortune and thank God for the memories as imagine how many of the starving the money would feed. Guess the pres and afters beat my cordial and biscuits on the boarding house!!!!!

Mother Who Works said...

Oh I forgot about that JayBee. I did wonder about ties. Can you throw mwe a ball park for that list? $200?? I'll update the tally. MWWx

JayBee said...

Conservatively $200! ( which some boys are not!!!!!!)

Mother Who Works said...

So that would our grand total up to about $120k back into the economy - yikes!!!!

Fashionista said...

We have just done the formal thing too, t'is the season for it. I thought Miss16 managed fairly frugally but when you add it up it gets up there. $180 for tickets, $135 for a dress from a vintage shop (which I then altered to fit, let's not talk about that! But it did look stunning and there were no repeats). Accessories were sourced at DFO so I thought I got away reasonably lightly; $40 for appropriate lingerie, $60 for shoes, $20 clutch. Then there was $35 for a mani (she did her own pedi). Hair & make-up were "free" for $50, as in a friend of hers did it but we then bought said friend a $50 gift card as a thank you. Limo $45. I only funded the tickets/dress/accessories, she paid for everything else. After all, isn't that why they have part-time jobs???

But they loved getting dressed up and had a fun night. There are not too many opportunities to really frock up so I'm pleased she relished it.

Mother Who Works said...

Noted Anon!

Mother Who Works said...

Oh I totally agree Fashionista! In my day it was The Boat Race Dance and I still have vivid memories - even if I didn't have a spray tan, professional hair, makeup and nails! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...