Friday 8 February 2013

Therapy

I realised I needed therapy a couple of weeks ago. I was working with a photographer I'd spent a couple of days with on various jobs last year. We met in the foyer of the client's office and I asked  about his Christmas. He'd been to Europe so we chit-chatted about that for a bit. He then casually asked 'How's the family?' And that was it. I started crying. Not just damp eyes, a stray tear - full on CRYING.

And unlike me, I really struggled to pull myself together. In amongst it all, I did manage to mutter that George had died (he did know about the kids) and how unexpected it all was. Meanwhile, I was rummaging in my bag for a tissue, apologising. He was rummaging in his bag looking for a tissue, telling me there was no need to apologise. It was hideous. We both found tissues simultaneously. (I chose to use mine.) Fuck, I thought. I seriously need help.

There was no therapy after Jaz died. Not because I wasn't as sad as I am now, but perhaps we were immediately caught up and focused on George's increasing needs. Jaz died on a Friday and on the Monday, at my request, all the equipment we had - oxygen extractor, oxygen cylinders, the bi-PAP breathing machine, all her feeding equipment, drugs, wound care, incontinence products and her wheelchair were taken away. Two days later, George's wheelchair arrived. We literally lurched from the end of one journey to the beginning of another.

Now both of those journeys are over. And that's taken a bigger adjustment than I was prepared for.

I had my first session 2 weeks ago. There was no couch and no 'tell me about your childhood'. She did of course need to find out the lay of the land.
Do you believe things happen for a reason?
No.
Do you believe in an after life?
No.
Do you have any religious beliefs?
No.
How about a spirit or soul?
No... not really.

Eeek. I felt like I was failing a test.

Okay, what do you believe in?

I've always believed in nature, evolution, spontaneous mutation - all that Darwin stuff. So we had a start. But I confess, I'm really not sure.

It was almost as therapeutic discussing the session with various friends on various occasions.

Anyhow, I was supposed to spend 20 minutes a day sitting quietly outside in nature. I have done it - a bit. It is kinda good - but I've been too busy to do it every day. I have my second session this arvo so we'll see how that goes.

PS My comments are working - please do drop me one - good, bad or indifferent.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Therapy is great Sue. Loss it something you really have had in spades and I'm sorry. To lose a child is hard but to lose 2 must be unimaginable. I lost my father last year and still feel pain and I think therapy helped me just a bit. I agree, I felt like a I had nothing to believe in when my therapist asked me similar questions. Nature is good. x

Mother Who Works said...

I think its doing something.... my homework this time is to learn about metabolic physics!!! Stay tuned for that one. MWWx

Anonymous said...

The world would be a better place if more people saw therapists! I saw someone for 2 years and learnt more than I would ever have expected to from her- not in the spiritual sense, literally learnt how to deal with general life situations better. I've always regretted not thanking her more for everything she did for me. I know I paid her and it was her job, but I found my time with her genuinely invaluable.

Mother Who Works said...

Hi Annonymous, may need to get you to send me her number. From discussions it does seem that the tricky part is finding the righ person for you. MWWx

JayBee said...

You deserve EVERY bit of assistance you get to help you live with your unimaginable grief MWW. It does have a way of popping outside our control at the strangest of times!

Jacinta Reynolds said...

Sue, I think you are the only one who is surprised by this recent tsunami of grief...

I've only had therapy briefly once and was also sceptical, but something occurred in one particular session that was the turning point in how I coped thereafter.

There may not be any quick fixes for you but hang in there and see what comes of it.
Jacinta x

Mother Who Works said...

See... this is exactly why it's good for me in my blogging to be completely honest and share. Jacinta I cannot tell you comforting that is to me. Thank you. Sxx

Kaye Holder said...

Sue, I have always thought you were the bravest woman I know. You still are. Like everyone who knows you I too have no concept of your grief and I'm so terribly sorry. While faith is hard to gasp therapy does help. I saw a therapist during my chemo and we had a deal, I'd continue to see her every week until I could get through a session without crying. It did me the world of good.

Mother Who Works said...

Thanks for that Kaye. Gosh, if that's the criteria, I might be going for the rest of my life. Sxx

Mother of a Man-Child said...

MWW. We mere mortals would have been in therapy for years if we were in your shoes. You are nothing short of amazing at how you have coped until now. Grief is such a personal journey - thank you for sharing some of it with us. I hope the therapy helps you, as no doubt your book writing and blogging does.

I always found it slightly amusing that I did so much of the talking with the psychologists I have seen over the years - they have a knack of helping you unpack stuff and come to self-realisation without even knowing you are doing it. Take care. xo

Anonymous said...

I tear up when I think about what you are going through ... it is unimaganeable. As said previously, you are amazing and we would all struggle to cope.

Mother Who Works said...

Isn't that true! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...