Tuesday 5 February 2013

The first letter from school...


Well, clearly my advice on being gracious has not sunk in.



Eleanor's  first letter arrived with exclamations of "Oh know!" Clearly, she doesn't know, but with the amount we're paying for her education, I'm so hoping she'll know how to spell soon.

I am refraining from what my mother did when I was at boarding school (and she wasn't alone), which was to correct my spelling for discussion on my return home at the end of term. Some mothers even had the audacity to post the corrected letters back to school which invariably led to a very long wait before a return letter was even contemplated. So I know from experience that doesn't work. I'm going to be a big girl and ignore her appalling spelling, just like you all generously do for me! (And yes, yes... you all know that unlike Geoff, I was NOT the Grade 6 Spelling Bee Champion. I was just hopeful that Elle would succeed where I have failed.)

Eleanor's letter also contained a telling off that she had not received a letter on her arrival - "It was a little awkward." I can only assume it arrived the next day.

There was a list of things she should have packed and didn't, so a request for me to sort that out. And a second letter even, instructing me to drop it to school for delivery rather than post.

And to round it all off, she signed it 'DC' - Disappointment Child. Her term, not ours. Oh, and a PSS (yes, she hasn't got a grip of how that works either) 'Sass don't touch my stuff!!!!'

So although she's now safely ensconced in boarding school a good couple of hours away, it's pretty much business as usual - or should that be attitude as usual?

4 comments:

JayBee said...

You just keep on modelling " gracious" MWW and all will be well in the end [ I hope!!!!! ]

Mother Who Works said...

So do I JB, so do I!!! Could polish my own graciousness though. Always room for improvement. MWWxx

Anonymous said...

I dont really get the letter thing as a requirement. Writing practice? Pallease...what like Grade 2? Spelling? ditto. Bonding? You cant fake it. Communication? Well I suppose it achieved that a little with the tick off and the list. But who are they instructing? You or your daughter? At least the dropping off hint was useful. Keep it to a minimum and dont over think it is my advice.

Mother Who Works said...

I'm afraid in the absence of email and phones, letters it is!! MWWxx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...