Thursday 24 January 2013

The Countdown

There are just five days before Eleanor heads off to boarding school in the country for a year. She does come home for school holidays and mid-term weekends so it's not like we won't see her.

Don't be fooled by those girlish good-looks, she is the devil reincarnated.
And no, that's not me pulling her hair, it's my sister-in-law braiding.


Some parents are quite nervous about it. I went to boarding school from Year 7 so I have no problem with it! She'll have a ball. They ski, ride horses, hike and camp - what's not to like about that? It's one of the reasons I chose Lauriston.

Geoff was very unsure to start with, having her away. But as she's just turned 14 and is soooooo 14 (mothers of teenage girls will know exactly what I'm talking about!) he now agrees that the timing is perfect. While there, they have no mobile phones, no access to Facebook, Snap Chat, Instagram or any other online sites that aren't directly applicable to their studies. How refreshing!!!

I also have high expectations that our house will be tidy.... and staying that way for more than an hour.

And how does she feel? Well on January 1st last year, when we were in Laos, she woke up and announced 'I go to Howqua next year!' But now it's getting close and they don't know who's in their house of 12 until they get there (what an excellent strategy!) she is becoming a bit nervous.

But we have clashed so much these last couple of weeks, her sleeping in until at least 12 every day, not helping around the house, reading her books, etc, etc that she's even telling everyone that as the other mothers are shedding a tear as the bus pulls away on Wednesday morning, I'll be punching the air and high fiving everyone! We'll see.


4 comments:

Mother of a Man-Child said...

Jealous! I wish my boys had this opportunity when they were in Year 9 - agree it's the perfect time for teenagers to experience some independence. Enjoy Elle - you will love home even more when you return.

Mother Who Works said...

I cam only hope..... MWWx

Anonymous said...

What's up, its good paragraph regarding media print, we all be aware of media is a great source of facts.
Here is my web-site :: Find Out More

Fashionista said...

Oh I can SO relate to the "sooooooo 14" observation! I went to boarding school for years 8 to 12 (high school in Qld) and while I don't believe I enjoyed it all that much while I was there, damn it taught me some life skills.

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...