Monday 28 January 2013

Good Grief


Jaz aged 8 in 2003


What a stupid expression. I use it myself, regularly, but really, there's nothing good about grief. Not that I've noticed anyway.

I wrote a book after Jaz died. More for my own therapy than anything else but I am wondering if I should do something with it. Like Angela's Ashes, it may need to wait until a few people have moved on - me included! - before it should see the light of day. (Frank McCourt called his best selling memoir that because he'd had to wait until his mother, Angela, passed away before it was published or 'the shame would have killed her'.)

Mine's call "14 Years, 23 Days", the extent of Jaz's life. Here's a snippet.


Grief weighs heavy on my chest, day and night, like someone’s lost luggage. I know this baggage is mine, but it’s so unfamiliar, so unrecognisable. I keep hoping I’ll wake from this nightmare and someone else will claim it.


Eleanor told me today that she is exactly 14 years and 23 days today. It made me cry. Losing George has somehow picked open that barely scabbed over but still weeping wound. Good grief? I don't think so.




5 comments:

Mother Who Works said...

Weird expression when you think about it. Miss your shoulder Frankie. MWWxx

JayBee said...

Weird yes. Maybe good for many others in your extraordinary story though MWW - the amazing courage and love in your family. You are all often in my thoughts.
JBxxxxxxxxx

Ricci said...

Beautiful words Sue. I think the book would do the memories of Jaz proud.

Mother Who Works said...

Thanks JB - I think we need that drink with Wendy - soon!!! MWWxx

Mother Who Works said...

Thanks Ricci - that's kind of you. I may need to have another look at it, xx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...