Wednesday 9 January 2013

Breathtakingly Simple Sorbet

There was some discussion at Christmas that the money my parents spent on piano lessons proved not to be a great investment. Nor the ballet or tennis lessons for that matter. However, they did concede that the cooking school in London was well worthwhile - for their own pleasure if nothing else.

So here is how I learnt to make sorbet - it's so simple and so yum and you can make just about any flavour you can think off. I made raspberry and mint.



In a food processor (and I have to confess, I have a ripper, a big MagiMix) chuck a handful of washed mint - whizz for a bit. I started with this because I don't like big chunks so I made it quite fine. Then add some caster sugar and lemon or lime juice, frozen raspberries and whizz some more. Then I added 4 egg whites one at a time and whizzed like crazy, which is what gives it is bulk and texture. And that's pretty much it. Have a little taste - add a bit more sugar or lemon to adjust sweetness if you need - otherwise pop it into a plastic container and throw back in the freezer for a couple of hours and it's good to go!

Instead of raspberries, you could use any fruit - bananas, other berries, fresh peaches, etc - just pop them into the freezer for a couple of hours before you start, it just helps to move the process along if it's really cold. You could also use a bottle of wine or champagne - again, just get it a bit slushy in the freezer first.

Oh and if you don't like the seeds in raspberries, whizz them up first, allow to defrost a bit and then sieve.

I served ours with lemon shortbread which I confess, I bought at Coles!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

whatjanesays said...

Sounds absolutely delicious and as you say, very simple.

I don't think my food processor is very good but I would like to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...