Friday 10 August 2012

50 Shades of Lies

You must have read it or be reading it.

I'm a third of the way through the first book and frankly, I'm a little bored, but ploughing on (as are Christian and Ana....again...yawn.) Maybe I need to get to the spanking bits and it'll fire up, but so far, I'm kinda underwhelmed.

My friend Kate worked at the Women's Hospital back when we were young 'uns and must have done a stint in the sexual health clinic. I vividly recall her telling me that Cleo and Cosmo had an awful lot to answer for when they got young women presenting because they didn't have multiple orgasms when they have sex. So, if Cleo and Cosmo did some damage to a few virginal-types, I dread to think of the damage this book is doing.

Now I don't speak for every woman, but personally, my first time bore no resemblance what so ever to Ana's first time!!! Am I alone? Did I miss something?

The Age last Saturday ran an article in A4 on what I refer to as Raunch Culture and how unhelpful it is, especially for kids. I've blogged about this before. But I didn't think The Age even scratched the surface of this massive issue.

But off my soap box and back to the book.....

I realised it was going to be crap when Christian was described as having amazing grey eyes and Ana has amazing blue eyes and Kate has amazing green eyes - something like that anyway. Which is exactly the same way Jackie Collins' books used to start when I read those back in the mid-80s. Amazing eyes and mane of hair in an usually attractive shade of auburn, strawberry blonde, as black as a stallion....is de rigueur for this kind of pulp. It's hardly new.

I'm going to keep reading, but I'd love to hear what you all think of it.... is it just me???

6 comments:

Catherine RodieBlagg said...

I haven't read it, and after all the scathing reviews I've read recently don't intend to. Good luck ploughing through the rest of it :-)

Leepeterodgers said...

It's The DaVinci Code all over again. Not tree worthy and they are going to make a bad movie of it. Hopefully this movie won't star Tom Hanks though - yuk!

Blackerj122 said...

think I'll stay with the autobiography of Consuela Vanderbilt!!!!!! No orgasms there - just and heir and a spare

Mother Who Works said...

Yep - save your self the bother. I just felt I needed to at least read it to have the right to slag it off!!! MWWx

Mother Who Works said...

Oh te Da Vinci Code!!! Yes, another large pile of steaming crap. Absolutely shocking. And yet, so popular. I wish you hadn't mentioned Tom Hanks - I now have a visual I'm struggling to remove from my mind - and it ain't pretty. MWWx

Mother Who Works said...

Excellent idea JB. MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...