Saturday 25 December 2010

Thrills in Dubai


For the biggest thrill in Dubai, forget the skiing in a shopping mall, four wheel driving in the desert or the world-famous water parks – no, for the biggest rush of adrenaline, try driving.

Before leaving, my partner got his international licence for a mere $30 and a passport photo.
‘Do you think I should get mine?’ I asked. ‘You know, just in case? Might be convenient to go to the shops or something?’
In the UAE, like the US they drive on the opposite side to Australia and of course, I’m so left-right dyslexic, I can’t even work out what side that is.
‘Nooooo. No, no, no,’ he responded, gently, but very firmly. Perhaps best for all concerned.

So he’s driving and I’m navigating. It’s a wonder we’re still together. We went up that main drag twice in a row, headed towards Abu Dhabi instead of Al Sharjarh– ie, the absolute wrong direction - because when we did get off, we managed to loop around through road works and follow the cars ahead, only to be spat out onto the main drag and do it all again. Miss your exit and it’s a long way to redemption.

We try and head home and discover freeways in the desert not even mapped. As I’m starting to lose hope, my sister-in-law’s car shoots past with my brother driving and her waving out the side. As we follow them around a spaghetti trail of roads back to the villa, I think perhaps there is a god of traffic!

Happy Christmas everyone!!!

6 comments:

KJ said...

I have SO been in that passenger hot seat! Christmas could only have been uphill!

4 kids, 20 suitcases and a beagle said...

I know exactly what you're talking about, we live in Qatar, it's an adventure every time I take the wheel!

K

Anonymous said...

And I have been with you driving in Melbourne ...

Mother Who Works said...

Can I just add we all know I drive like an old lady, but I was sacked as navigator on this last trip as well. It was the hour and a half trip in the dark from The Palm to Silicon Oasis that should have taken about 40 minutes at the most. It was about the time I pulled out my glasses and exclaimed oh! now I can see the signs..... that I was royally fired!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I just got a flash back ... you driving in Melbourne, went straight through a red light. Were we busy talking about nail polish?!

And what luck - there was a policeman on our tail.

Mother Who Works said...

Lucky we weren't killed by a truck coming through the industrial estate I say!!! I reckon the $130 fine was getting off lightly!! xx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...