Saturday 18 December 2010

Heading Off

So I’ve finally made it to the airport to discover the check in time is 7.25pm, not the take off time, which is more like 10.25…. but anyway, at least I’m here. I could almost just lie down in this filthy bar (the only place I can find a power point) and have a snooze. It’s been a hectic few days. I dropped my partner and the kids here first thing this morning and they’ve headed off via KL on the cheap flights. My brother has just called me say there’re plenty of first class seats – hooray!

I think I lost about 2kilos this week without even trying. Surprisingly a diet of mince pies, chocolate and lattes can bear results – who’d have thought? (Mind you, that’s mince pies, chocolate, coffee and absolutely nothing else.)

The packing was tricky – we’re covering 28 degrees in Dubai and 14 in Jordan. We packed like this once before to go to Dubai and Europe and had everything from bathers and floaties to woolly tights and parkers. Once you’ve got that, you could really travel the world for months – what a lovely thought! Oh that’s right, I work… sorry…dozed off for a minute and was dreaming.

And besides the clothes, I have a separate bag pressies. I am seriously taking an miniature Electrolux vacuum for the small fry for Christmas from Santa, I’m seriously going to have to bring it home and I am seriously insane – but she is four and a believer, so that’s just what you do.

I think it could be a great present, especially if it really does work well and she gets into the swing of vacuuming her own bedroom – fifty bucks well spent I’d say!

In fact, she was with the other children and I when we bought it. I sent one of the older ones back to make the purchase and I swear, she didn’t even notice or comment that her sister reappeared holding a massive department store bag that she didn’t have just minutes before!! The self-obsession of pre-schoolers can sometimes work to your advantage. That and their enthusiasm for vacuuming!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a fabulous Christmas! Hope the vacuum cleaner meets her expectations! We once took a toy weed eater all the way to NZ ... and back again. He was a believer until a few weeks ago when he asked whether Santa was real or was it really just dad. I told him to forget the whole 'dad' thing, since when had he seen dad out shopping for presents? Behind every great Santa is a Ms Claus.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the holiday - I'm sure you've earned your spot in first class. And no doubt hubby will have too after enduring the cheap asian airline with 3 kids - did you go for upmarket AirAsia?
If that vacuum cleaner doesn't really vacuum i'd definitely be taking it back. We working mothers need all the help we can get.
Oh and to Anonymous - it's time we replaced Father Christmas with Mother Christmas officially. We all know who's filling the stockings......

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...