Sunday 21 May 2017

Kangaroo Island - Part 1

After Christmas in Robe, we took the opportunity while in South Australia to pop over to Kangaroo Island for a few days.

Now I'm not sure about you, but I think I've read far too much in Gourmet Traveller about this place so in truth, it didn't quite live up to expectation.

Most of the magazine hype is focused on Southern Ocean Lodge - but as accommodation there starts at $1200 a night per person, with a minimum 2 night stay, even though we only had Sass, that wasn't happening! (Yes - that's a starting price for 3 in the cheapest room of $7,200!!)

Southern Ocean Lodge

We did try for lunch. We pulled up at the fancy locked gates on the gravel road and Geoff pressed the intercom. Here's how that brief conversation went:
Welcome to Southern Ocean Lodge, you're speaking with Jess.
Hello Jess, my name's Geoff and I was just wondering if you're serving lunch today?
Yes we are, but only to in-house guests. Thank you. (Clunk)

Okay....

That aside, I was still expecting a Tasmania/New Zealand-esque food experience - where you pretty much can't go wrong where ever you go. Not the case. Here's my TripAdvisor review of breakfast on day one.


Because we'd booked late, choices were limited and we ended up in a very dated but totally adequate 2 bedroom cabin. The highlight was the managers; a gorgeous middle-aged, heavily tattooed  and pieced hippy couple who'd recently moved down from Queensland to take over. They were lovely! Friendly and chatty and knowledgeable about the local bird life. I commented to one that I couldn't get a decent coffee anywhere. so there was a real business opportunity.
There are lots of business opportunities around here, she responded sagely.

Now that I've got that all off my chest, there are many great things on KI. The Oyster Bar at American River is fabulous - the oysters are some of the best I've ever eaten. Avoid the crush in the tiny shop and buy them take away, then sneak over to the cafe across the road and buy a glass of something chilled to go with, sit on the habour and enjoy- an absolute highlight. (Just know it's only open from 11am-3pm which isn't that convenient... like a lot of things on KI).

I'm holding the wine - and Sass the oyster (my nails aren't that chipped!!)

Dudley Wine is also brilliant. Their Porky Flat Shiraz has become a fav. The gourmet pizza was very tasty and the views stunning.


The mixed platter at  the Rockpool Cafe, Stokes Bay was expensive at about $30 (most of KI is - we figured they have a limited season to earn a living so didn't begrudge the prices) but delivered - fresh, crisp and although all fried, not at all greasy or heavy. Included prawns, scallops, calamari and local white fish.


And finally, the platter we threw together ourselves on the balcony of our cabin.



Food done, next time - the sights!

2 comments:

Tanvi said...

Hi Mother Who Works Team,

My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Mother Who Works has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 80 Working Mom Blogs on the web.

http://blog.feedspot.com/working_mom_blogs/

I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 80 Working Mom Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.

Best,
Anuj

False Cape Wines said...

This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.
Kangaroo Island Cellar Doors

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...