Thursday 6 August 2015

The fast line.

A couple of months ago, I ventured into Maccas to check the new CYO - Create Your Own. Burgers made to your specifications and served open in a windowed cardboard box or on a board. (Just quietly, it wasn't bad!)

You can either order at the counter or use a touch screen that then sends your order directly to the kitchen. I opted for the screen.

As I stood and waited (a bespoke burger doesn't happen instantaneously you know!), an elderly gentleman approached me. Now when I say "elderly", I mean so old bits of his face were kinda flaking off. I'd have picked him for about 90 not out. And when I say "approached", I really mean shuffled. Anyhoo....

I smiled and lent down as he spoke (I was wearing high heels and he was kind of small and hunched in a way ancient people are).
"I'm too old for a line...." he croaked.
Hmm, I thought. I wonder if he needs help ordering or with the touch screens? I smiled again, nodding.
"...but you look shuuuuurperb!" He arranged his fingers in the sign that indicated 'okay' - or as kids today use it, 'mint'. "Really," he insisted, "absolutely shurperb." There was a slight whistle on the 's' that was more like a 'sh'.

"Oh you've made my day!" I gushed, not lying. "really made my day. Thank you!"

I was so flattered.

Then I looked around and noticed the other patrons were pretty much all wearing polar fleece, track pants and trainers.

I was in my work clothes, including the orange neoprene jacket I cheerfully admit I nicked from the charity I go to on Sundays. That organisation takes donations of second hand clothes and then distributes them to the homeless, asylum seekers and other disadvantaged groups. When I say "nicked", it was with the blessing of the founder - they have far too many women's clothes and we all agreed this probably wasn't suitable for most recipients.

Anyway, I took a snap of my ego-inflated self so you could get an accurate picture. Not amazing I know, but hey, at my age I'm happy to take any compliment!! Maybe I should be hanging out at Maccas more often?





1 comment:

JayBee said...

Bless him! See, we oldies still looking!!!!!!!!???? Xx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...