Monday 20 October 2014

Stand Up. (For your life apparently)

I felt like I'd strained an abdominal muscle last week, which was odd because I didn't think I had any. Abdominal muscles that is.

But I think I've worked it out....

You may have seen that there's been a bit of bad press lately on sitting down for extended periods of time (namely 60 Minutes and I confess, I did watch it despite my usual rhetoric of it being tabloid TV). It said sitting is as bad for your health as smoking. See? Utter sensationalism.

But the idea that we weren't designed to sit for 10 hours a day at a desk makes lots of sense to me. Luckily, I have a set of drawers next to my desk that are just the right height, so I've been standing. And I think that's what's strained my tummy muscles.

It's a shrine to my MacBook Pro - how sad.


Standing all day is surprisingly easy, although I have noticed there is real joy and relaxation when I do finally flop down. I don't have great posture and wriggle around a lot and stick my bum out and lean and whatever - but at least I'm using a few otherwise unused muscles. And I'm thinking especially my core.

Apparently some people claim to lose weight by standing (60 Minutes again) but as I subscribe to the belief that weight is more to do with what you eat, I'm not counting on it.

I'll let you know how it goes.








No comments:

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...