Tuesday 16 July 2013

The Price of Dodgy Oysters

It was a Saturday and we weren't going out. So while I was at the supermarket late that afternoon, I thought, what the heck, and bought a dozen oysters.

I've only been eating oysters for a few years, having been patiently talked through the process on a small specimen, doused in fresh lime at the races one year. I wouldn't say I'm hooked, but I do enjoy one or three and Geoff and the kids are also quite fond of them so I lashed out.

It was about wine o'clock and I retrieved said oysters from the fridge and took off the plastic wrap and.... ewwww!! The smell was disgusting. And they were slimy. YUK!!

I'd only bought them less an hour ago, so I headed straight back. To dispose of the little blighters as much as anything - but also to let them know their oysters were less than fresh and to get my money back. The experience had left all our nasal passages emotionally scarred, so oysters were definitely off the menu for the night.



I arrived at the service desk, oysters in hand, and explained the situation to the lady in charge. She was extremely empathetic and we consumers LOVE it when people agree with us when we're complaining.

Oh that's terrible! she gasped. And whisked the nasty molluscs away - I assume to march them down to the fresh seafood counter for a word.... actually, they could probably have marched down there and spoken for themselves they were so ripe!

Anyway, customer service lady is still apologising profusely, and of course she'll refund my money. I had handed her the receipt, indicating the time of purchase being a mere 57 minutes prior. In fact, she says, it's so bad, she's also going to give me a store voucher.

Now that, I wasn't expecting.

That's very kind of you, I said, politely. (In fact, I was polite the whole time just FYI! Except that I was probably wearing ugg boots....) She went over to her register area and prepared the voucher. I waited in anticipation. She handed it over suggesting I use it next time I was there shopping. I thanked her again and glanced down.... $2. That's right, two bucks.

Now I know in a pinch, 7 Eleven does $1 coffee, but around these parts $2 is half a large latte. 

So, the price of a dozen dodgy oysters? Half a latte.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm if it's the shop I think it is, then your blog is more influential than you may realise - I went past this morning and it was boarded up...

Mother Who Works said...

What?? Coles? No - sadly I don't think I have quite that much clout! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...