Sunday 7 July 2013

Poverty and George's Charity

Did you see Four Corner's last Monday night? Here's the link to iView - if you can handle it. It made me cry.

You might recall I once posted about unethical consumption - the $10.5 billion a year Australia spends on food we don't eat, clothes we don't wear, books we don't read, downloads we don't listen to - it might be a timely reminder for us all to think about that as we watch these people on Four Corners struggle to feed their kids, find accommodation and just make ends meet.

Another thing that struck me in this program was how two of the three spokespeople who work with this disadvantaged group are women. I'm sure the actual split in the sector is even more strongly skewed. Had the story been on financial success instead of financial failure, I wonder what that gender split would be?

Anyway, enough of my left-wing, feminist ranting.

Also this weekend, other than upsetting myself with social injustice, I also packed up all George's clothes. It was bound to happen. Elle is home for the holidays and she and Sass decided they wanted their own rooms and for the first time of course, that's possible. But to make space, ten months after George died, I was compelled to finally make a decision about what to do with his clothes that have sat, unworn, in the wardrobe ever since.

When Jaz died, as the oldest of the three girls, her wardrobe and possessions simply merged in with the rest of the stuff the girls had and used, so we hadn't had to face this milestone. We agreed to pack up his clothes - but the actual doing fell to me.

It was a heartbreaking task. One I wept my way through. Folding each of his Ts, hoodies and jeans, boardies and PJs, shirts and chinos, runners and boots. Each item reminding me that he is no longer here to wear them. I put his footy jumpers, baseball cap collection, his electric blue loafers and a few other favourite things into a tub to store in the attic.



I knew there was no need to get rid of anything. It could all go into the attic and I could deal with it later - weeks, months or years later. But somehow I realised that it didn't matter when this day was - it was going to be just as difficult.

So Geoff and I decided today was the day - spurred on by Four Corners and the reality that so many have so little. A warm parker might just be the ticket. We could have passed his things on to family and friends, but in truth, I don't want to see them wearing it - it's just a reminder that George should be here. Geoff and Sass took a special trip to the St Kilda Mission to drop it off. And now it's done.

There is much consolation knowing that George was very charitable and thoughtful and would have been pleased with the decision.

I still miss him - and Jaz - every day.


5 comments:

Mother of a Man-Child said...

I vividly remember my mother having to do the same thing after Jane died Sue - she would understand the depth of your grief. It's just not right but your decision to help those less fortunate is perfect. George would be so proud!

Mother Who Works said...

I'm sure she'd also agree there's no good time. On the upside, his books and DVDs, art and bits and pieces are all in place - and they're much more important. As much as you know I always thought it imperative to look good, George actually couldn't have cared less. I, and a couple of other mothers, defiantly disregarded the school uniform as bottle green poly track pants and matching windcheater were cmpletely unacceptable for teens - especially those with a disability - talk about type casting....Thanks for your words Kell, much love. MWWxx

JayBee said...

Another step in the bl#^#$y process of grief for you my dear girl and yours.That beautiful boy would be happy to do good for others but soooo glad you kept those fabulous blue loafers. xxxxxxx

Mother Who Works said...

Thanks Jay Bee, Sxxx

Anonymous said...

I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here.
The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following.
unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case
you shield this hike.

my site - Replica Christian Louboutin

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...