Wednesday 10 July 2013

Parking

Is it just me or is your local shopping centre squeezing out those of us who have no special parking needs??

Of course we used to have a Disability Parking Permit. And I did do my best not to abuse it - but there were times, I confess, I was guilty.

There was one memorable occasion a few years back when we had braved Chadstone in the lead up to Christmas. (I'm now much older and wiser and wouldn't be so foolish to tackle that expedition again. And I think my local retailers are in greater need of my hard-earned dollars than Chaddy.) Having driven around for just a small while - given the circumstances - I spotted a free disabled park, pulled in and jumped out.

A toot from behind.

A gentleman in a old Falcon was waving me over. I jogged over to the window he was winding down with considerable effort.

Yes? I enquired, cheerfully.
Excuse me, do you have a disability? He asked gruffly, not impolitely, but not exactly friendly either.
What, me? I looked aghast and clasped my hand to my chest in dramatic disbelief. No! I don't have a disability, I repeated, unnecessarily.
You do realise that's a disabled spot you've just pulled into?
I glanced in the direction of my car for effect..
Actually, yes, I did notice that. I replied, still upbeat and cheerful. My daughter has a disability. I was just about to get her wheelchair out.
That shut him up. And in fact, I did have Jaz, her wheel chair, George, Elle and Sass all on board. So that time, thankfully, I was not guilty!

But back to the shopping centre.

Elle and I popped up there last week, during the day and there were parks for people with a disability, parks for seniors and parks for mothers with prams - but none for us.
This is ridiculous! I said to Elle, swinging around for a second lap. Okay - there seems to be about four of the pram ones, I'm pulling in. I might just have to duck around and unbuckle you  - just for effect - you can be the baby, even though we have no pram.
As most of you know, Elle is 14, rising in the front seat and taller than me.

We pulled into the forbidden park and I got out. I grabbed the green bags out of the back.
Elle? What are you doing?
Waiting for you to come and unbuckle me.
Like that was actually going to happen.... Get out!!!

Tonight, Sass and I popped up to the centre. Same issue. This time I elected to be Senior!! Perhaps more appropriate?! Or is the large van with sliding doors, tinted windows and My Family stickers on the back a bit of a give away?

How's the parking where you shop?







No comments:

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...