Sunday 22 July 2012

Ugg!

In spite of no longer going to an office everyday, rest assured my title of MWW still holds for all the reasons I initially outline in Why I Work. Retirement is still a mighty long way off.

My business partner Mandy and I have two head quarters - my kitchen table and hers. (She was thinking of reporting revenue by 'office' but decided it would be too tricky to allocate!)

There a great freedom of not having an office to go to. You can get up and start work in your pyjamas if you feel like it. I often find myself working at 11pm because the mood takes me. And it also means I can have a better crack at some of those mother-tasks I've previously not dedicated much time to - like cooking dinner and swimming lessons after school for Sass. And that went so well last week. She has lessons at a private pool in a backyard. So we turn up and yes, it doesn't start back until next week. 'Gee Mum,' said Sass, 'You really need to pay more attention. That was just embarrassing!' Okay - so I'm still getting into the swing of it, all right.

Being at home also means you can chuck on a load of washing between emails, or empty the dishwasher while you think about how to word something. I really am loving it.

But there is a dark side as well - and it's not just that the fridge and pantry are far too accessible! Friday, we were at HQ Mandy with no meetings but stuff to get done. And there we are, nails shalaced, make up on, hair straightened, knits selected, cool jeans fitted - but travel down and OMG - we're wearing ugg boots!!!! At least mine are black and vaguely acceptable - hers are pink!!! If the high flyers could see us now!


3 comments:

Jamie Kelly said...

Sue, as a SNAGD, (sensitive, new aged, guy, Dad,) who ran his own business while bringing up four children, I can deeply sympathise with you. I used to take the little ones to work with me in a pram and warm expressed milk. Ah,those were the days. I suppose I should not really be reading this post. That said, I find it most refreshing and pretty funny. Keep up the good mothering.

Me said...

I work in an office which requires driving too. But, I love nothing more than taking kick arse boots off and sinking my feet into my uggs. I worry one day I will forget to take off sheepskins and put on out of home shoes although they are a respectible brown and not Mandy pink ...

motherwhoworks said...

Thanks Jamie! Yes, one day I should type about my early MWW days of expressing in the toilets at work - nice!!!
And 'me', I worked with someone once who arrived at work, got in the lift, looked down and - yep - slippers! MWWxx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...