Sunday 13 November 2011

"Not Busy" is so busy!!


The usual Friday office conversation turned to the weekend and what’s on. I’m always interested to know what my work mates get up to. ‘What about you?’ one asked. ‘Not much’, I replied. ‘And I’m quite happy about that as last weekend was so busy.’ Last weekend I’d had a working bee, a shoot and my school reunion on Saturday, a charity run Sunday morning, followed by an induction for E’s rep netball and finally, the writing, shopping and setting up of a Cub program for Monday. Stupidly busy.

So this weekend my diary indicated NOTHING! Bliss.  In addition, George was on a school camp in Queensland, so I decided Friday night would be date night. We had a lovely dinner and indulged in Gold Class for Midnight In Paris (a great film BTW). A great start to the weekend. And sadly, the end of my relaxing ambitions.

Saturday I had pilates, picked up the little one from a sleepover, went to the greengrocer and bakery, dropped that stuff home, went to the supermarket and butcher, put everything away, tidied out the pantries while I was at it, then it was time to go to the airport to pick up George. Got home, made dinner, read the front of the paper, cleaned up and was frankly, bloody tired! So as the rest settled in for X Men, I retired to my bedroom with a large glass of very nice red, my laptop and season two of The Tudors (I’m such a dag).

I did read a bit on Sunday morning, then went for a run, then tackled that goddamned barbecue I incinerated a while back. As I scrubbed and scoured, I did ask my better half what did he think of an insurance claim? But on I went. Hours it took. It is significantly better but it’ll never be what it once was.

Not content with the size of that job and while I was still filthy from running and scrubbing, I decided to tackle the compost bit – shoveling loads of worm-ridden soil from the bottom, spreading and toweling it into a couple of beds – and that did me.

Back inside to read the second half of the paper, get the dinner on and do some emails…..so much for ‘nothing on’.

And even now as I sit down, I think I could spend a whole day tidying out cupboards, another in the garden, one in the attic, one in the shed, one attending to the filing and paper, one sorting out the IT and iPod issues…..it’s endless!!

Do you have the same problem? Filling every waking moment that’s free, with jobs?

4 comments:

Kelly Millar said...

So glad you didn't mention your tax return! Mine has been on my to do list for 5 months.....it's the one I keep avoiding. Can't wait to see "I don't know how she does it" as the book was hilarious! Do you think we look quite as glamourous as SJP when we're running around on the weekend or in your case are up to your elbows in the compost bin?

Motherwhoworks said...

Very NOT glamourous up to my elbows in worms and slimy mud, smelling delicious from my run sweat and finished off with oven cleaner from the barbecue smeared up my arm - and on my ankle - yes, I don't know how it got their either... MWWx

Blackerj122 said...

As an " oldie" I have serious concerns about women of your generation needing to "fill every waking moment that's free with jobs."
I see it with many families including my own. The multiple activs of chn certainly contributes to your dilemma. Somethings got to give and hope it isn't the health on mothers at large.
I settled down to series two of Lark Rise to Candleford - dag too!!!

Motherwhoworks said...

Ha ha ha!! You're so not a dag JB!!
Yes, what is it with us women?? There's gotta be some driving need behind this relentless pace. I'm sure you have an idea....

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...