Sunday 27 November 2011

Hanging Up My Woggle


It is without any mixed feelings that I am retiring from Scouts.




I started on the committee 10 years ago, when George's Cub Leader assured me it wasn’t a huge commitment. Ha! As the only chick and blonde, they naturally insisted I be the secretary. I nearly laughed in their faces. Never the less, I took copious minutes and nagged them relentlessly about having NOT done their action points. Like small boys, they responded so well to this treatment, they decided I should be President when the position became available.

“Whoa up there, fellas!” I objected. “I don’t remember putting my hand up for that role.”
“ No, you didn’t,” they cheerfully conceded. “But we decided you should do it.”
And there you have it: more proof that righteousness is its own punishment.

So after 5 years of cheap wine fuelled meetings, the foundations of what has become life-long friendships, ambitious intentions and some material sucesses, we faced a crisis that threatened the future of the group; a shortage of Cub Leaders.
“Alright,” I said. “I’ll be a Leader.” (What was that about righteousness?)

I’ll do a separate post on the required training ….it does deserve one. Let me just whet your appetite with a couple of headlines like “Middle of Winter", “3-Day Weekend”, “Kumbaya”, “Home-Brand Food” and “No Alcohol”. What a treat!

I’ve just emailed my very last program ever to the other two Leaders. It’s the end of an era, with highlights including:  
    ·    Flesh coloured play-doh wounds (you can impale them with nails for extra effect), fake blood,   
        Vaseline blobs covered with tissue that look exactly like blisters, and smudged eye-liner black-eyes
    ·      Jars of rotting vegetation that after a few weeks, smell so bad you could throw up      
    ·      Scuba diving at the local pool     
    ·   Making sherbet, lava lamps, sock puppets, fires and worm farms     
    ·      Excursions to gardens, libraries, the city and the local park
    ·      Clean Up Australia and Tree Planting community days   
    ·      Light aircraft flights over Port Philip Bay
    ·    Family camps – all of them
    ·      District camps – some of them
    ·   Training camps – none of them

Anyone looking for a voluntary position working with youth? Let me know I can forward you the details!

2 comments:

Blackerj122 said...

You are a true gem MWW. Pergaps you could use that extra time for YOU!!!!!!! Jx

Mandy Henderson said...

About bloody time

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...