Wednesday 16 March 2011

I'm well, thanks....

I’m basically a well person. I get the occasional cold and have that perpetual 5kgs to loose, but on the whole, I’m pretty robust. So is it really wrong that every now and then, I actually hope for a small-ish kind of unwellness that would allow me to stay at home (but not on a day when the cleaners are here!) to lie on the couch and watch TV?

It is wrong I know. Health is so very important to be so flip, but a little break would be nice and I can’t think how else that kind of ‘lie around and do nothing’ is ever going to happen.

I have to be physically unable to stand up before I declare defeat and have a day off work. Ridiculous I know as there plenty, who at the first sign of a sniffle, insist they’re being martyrs for staying home watching daytime TV to avoiding spreading the germs with their work mates. That wouldn’t work for me because being that well would mean I’d spend the day doing countless jobs at home while feeling sick with guilt that I’m not at work!

A few years back I worked with a colleague who every time the pressure was on, she got sick. Like really sick. And we work in advertising for goodness sake, so that was like every other week. It was such a clear connection between her stress and sickness, I had to announce that projects like hers should be left to people like me who care less! (If you are one of my clients, please don’t fire me! It’s not that I don’t care, and as you know there are times when I could throw up – but mostly manage to keep it all down…)

So I’m wondering what kind of small-ish unwellness would render me sufficiently incapable of going to work or doing jobs at home, but allow me to thoroughly enjoy a day of doing nothing?? Suggestions gratefully received.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Tripped over a piece of sporting equipment at Scouts in your killer heels and have a sprained ankle that needs elevation and you staying off it for 24 hours.

PS. Hope I wasn't that previous colleague. :-)

Ruth said...

I'm with Sarah (but maybe a little more extreme). I say go for the broken foot. Just grab a big hunk of wood and have a swing. Like that saying goes; nothing worthwhile is gained without pain. Well I think that’s a saying. You get the point.

PS. I also hope I'm not the ex colleague you are referring are to. Crying in dark bathrooms maybe. Pulling sickies? Never!

Anonymous said...

Go to the dentist. You get to lie down for 15 minutes and some even let you watch TV. Sadly, that is the closest I have got to sitting on the couch watching TV during the day for a long time.

Or you could just not be such a control freak and take a sick day when you are little bit sick. Is it really that you are indispensable or you just don't want anyone to find out you are???

Mother Who Works said...

No, Sarah, it wasn't you! Nor you Ruth - but I like your thinking re break a bone! MWWxxx

Mother Who Works said...

And no BM, sadly I am sooo not dispensable and yes it's more thd control freak thing - or trying to find a day that looks suitable clear and cleaner-free! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...