Thursday 24 March 2011

I take my gaff, and raise it.


A couple of weeks ago I blogged about a shocking gaff, My First Board Meeting, but was reminded by another MWW that in fact I have, made a far worse one (thanks BM!)

Sitting at a client’s boardroom table, I looked across to see someone I’ve known for ages, but don’t see often. She works with the client. Let’s call her ‘Nicky’. She sitting next to another client who is heavily pregnant and I notice that Nicky is also clearly quite pregnant, (you can see where this is going already can’t you – but wait, there is a twist!)

On my way out, and thankfully not in front of the 15 or so in the meeting, I say ‘Hey Nicky! I didn’t know you were having a baby!’ The rising puce creeping up her neck  and spreading over face said it all.
‘I’m not pregnant,’ she shamefully muttered. “I shouldn’t wear such tight clothes,’ she said, awkwardly pulling at her top like a 5 year old in trouble. I felt sooooo bad.
‘Oh it’s not your tummy,’ I improvised, ‘I just don’t remember your boobs being so...impressive.’  She graciously smiled, we parted and both felt the excruciating pain of humiliation and embarrassment.

I heard later she went home and cried. I also felt like crying.

So I was surprised to get a phone message from Nicky a couple of weeks later. “Hi MWW, I know you felt really bad about that comment the other day, so I thought I should ring and let you know I’ve just found out I’m 18 weeks pregnant!”

2 comments:

Mother of a Man-Child said...

Love your work MWW. That's great - love the twist.

Mother Who Works said...

Thanks MMC! MWWxx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...