Wednesday 30 March 2011

Fund Raiser

I blogged a while ago about the fund-raiser late last year when my friend Pen and I bought lunch with 10 Firemen.

Last Saturday, I found myself at a much more intimate fundraising event and still managed to get myself into trouble. It was for a friend's daughter’s humanitarian trip to Borneo and, aside from that, a bloody good party with a heap of people I really like. So as I wondered around the dining room table of silent auction items, it was good to see everyone offering their support – except for the Botox.

That’s right – 28 units of Botox valued at over $400 and not one bid! Clearly far too embarrassing for the ladies at this party. But too tempting for MWW and I whacked down $50. An old (as in ‘known for a long time’, not ‘ancient’!!) friend upped the bid to $100 as we sipped lovely French champagne. Now it was competitive as well. I couldn’t resist. I upped my bid to $110 and vaguely threatened him not to outbid me again.

It was announced from the top of the stairs that I was the lucky winner. Luckily I really didn’t care – perhaps it was all the exceptionally lovely champagne. A doctor friend suggested perhaps 280 units might be a more reasonable amount required for me. On repeating this to another doctor friend (there is a point to theses ‘doctors’, stay with me people…) he suggested Doctor One had obviously seen a lot more of me that he has.
“He hasn’t. But I doubt Botox could replace these,” I said, snapping my Bridget-Jones undies (that were just about at my neckline) so loudly he was forced to ask ‘Did that hurt?”
“Nup’, I answered truthfully. I think there’s so much padding there it’s all well protected.

So I’m then introduced to the donor of the treatment and am somewhat alarmed to discover he’s NOT a doctor. Hmmmm.
 ‘Just ring the girls at the clinic and they’ll look after you’, says the entrepreneurial investor. Girls? Are they doctors?  No. I thought this kinda thing required qualified medical people? No, apparently not. Confidence quickly waning despite the Dutch courage of exquisite bubbles….

So what do you think? Consider the $110 a charitable donation and forget it or risk looking extremely surprised for three months??


9 comments:

Mother of a Man-Child said...

Please try it out MWW, so you can provide us with an update on the blog including before and after shots! I don't have any friends who have done this (or at least admitted to it) so I'd love you to be the first so we can all see the effects and decide if we should invest ourselves in the future.

Mother Who Works said...

One friend has suggested I swing by the clinic, collect the Botox and take it to a doctor!!!

Anonymous said...

Let me know if it hurts ... 28 needles doesn't sound like fun.

Eaon Pritchard said...

hey nice article

Anonymous said...

hey nice article, too

eric said...

try twelevision
http://www.twelevision.com.au

Unknown said...

Oh my. If it doesn't hurt too much, you can sling some my way. There's a doctor who does botox at my GP clinic but when I asked her (because I have what I call 'sad lines' around my mouth, she said I didn't know it. She said I would find a cosmetic person who would do it, but ethically she couldn't recommend it for me as my lines weren't bad/deep enough, and she thought I was too young (at 43, after two marriage break-ups?). Anyway, maybe that tells you something ...

Unknown said...

She said I didn't need it, sorry, not know it.

Mother Who Works said...

God don't you love a judgemental doctor!! Seriously, if you want some Botox, that should be your choice - not a lecture!!! Hang in there and thanks for the comments! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...