Sunday 3 April 2011

Africa - here we come!

We’re off to Africa on Friday – the day school winds up for the term and as usual, we’ve cut it extremely close. I do like to maximise the time we get when we go away. The kids finish at 2.30 and we’re on a 11.50pm flight. It should be fun. We’re going with some friends and their two boys, so we’ll have 5 kids with end-of-term exhaustion and a flight that goes via Perth to Johannesburg and then straight on to Manzini in Zululand. It seemed like such a good idea to “just get there!”  when we were booking.

As a consequence, it’s been a very busy week. We’ve been to the doctors for immunisations, I’ve been to a workshop on school-leavers, a dinner out with clients, I’m on Cub duty again tomorrow so have shopped, cut, glued, knotted and set up the hall in preparation for that, I’ve had a PSG (Parent Support Group) meeting for my son and I did PMP (I don’t even know what that stands for… Physical Movement Program??) for the youngest (I only injured one kid!), I had a waxing appointment, booked the car into the airport car-parking and managed to get the invitations designed, printed and posted for the pending 18th birthday party. And, lord forbid, I’ve even squeezed some work in!! (My work mate Mandy does on occasion accuse me of being Mother Who’s Supposed To Be Working….)

Amongst it all, I even managed to look at a map, so I have some vague idea of where we’re headed, despite having had the comprehensive itinerary for some weeks. I walked with a friend last night who asked many embarrassing questions, like how long’s the flight, what game parks are we going to and what’s the accommodation is like –to which I answered “I don’t know”, “I can’t remember” and “I have no idea”. So, business as usual for our style of travel – a surprise when we get there!

But, what I did manage to do at work this week was catch up with the Digital Guru as some people have said they’re having trouble commenting. (I hope that is the case, as I get precious few…) Anyway, the easiest thing is to start with your selection from the 'Select a profile' drop down box of “Comment as”; Anonymous is fine and add your name to the comment if you want to – or not! There is one of those crazy words you have to copy like 'Zolic' to avoid spam, but please persist!!!

Hopefully I’ll manage to get a quick post in before we head off…. MWWxx




8 comments:

Mother of a Man-Child said...

Have an absolutely fabulous trip MWW. Look forward to hearing all about it when you return. :)

Anonymous said...

MWW I need a lie down after reading what you've been up to! And cubs...I mean really...

Have the most fantastic time - no doubt you'll have some very funny stories to share when you get back. xg

Anonymous said...

The plane trips are only about 24 hours; pretty much like labour. Hard work and then something nice at the end. How hard can it be?

Have a fabulous time!

Mother Who Works said...

Yeah - nothing a few drinks - purely for medicinal purposes! - won't fix!! For me... and the kids??? Kidding...

Anonymous said...

Oh, not travelling first class and leaving He who works as well in the back with the children?

Anonymous said...

I find travelling with a different surname to children and partner works ... they invariably seat me somewhere else.

KJ said...

Have a wonderful trip! Even taking into account the flight plan I am jealous...I think...no no I am.

Mother Who Works said...

Yes I am flying with partner and kids - up the back!!! That'll give me something to blog about. And unlike last time, it won't be about Iranian caviar and Dom Perignon.

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...