Sunday 24 October 2010

Maintenance

So Friday afternoon, I'm at my desk. We're 'free range' in our office, or open plan.

The conversation turns to religion and Mary McKillop. The group next to us are predominantly of catholic up bringing and our team is pretty much protestant/atheist, so it does make for some good arguments.

Our boss, MD (Managing Director) strolls out to join the conversation. He's extremely knowledgeable on such matters as he actually spent seven years of his life training to be a priest before he joined our highly moral industry that rates right up there with used car salesmen and politicians.

He's adding some highly intellectual concepts to the discussion, when suddenly, he breaks off mid-sentence:

'Mother Who Works,' he exclaims, 'are you painting your toe nails at you desk???'

I clutch my Chanel Paradoxal (their fab new colour - check it out!) defensively and quietly ask, 'Is that wrong?'


Vote on the poll below - please!!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously. When else ARE you going to paint them! It's like doing your expenses. It's just work maintenance. Now, if you were practicing your golf swing or brushing up on your bible verse at your desk I could understand his shock. That has nothing to do with work.

Mother Who Works said...

12:06 - I love you're thinking! In fact, I know someone who manages to get their manicures as a tax deduction due to her having to present products in the best possible light. I pushed my accountant for things like make up (Maybeline might be cheap, but it adds up!), clothes, etc- but no joy.
BTW, MD's response when I asked if that was wrong was 'No, I love it!' What a guy!

Anonymous said...

Sweet. Right answer MD. keep the job.

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...