Wednesday 27 October 2010

Christmas

Christmas. There; I’ve typed it. And I can almost refrain for reaching for a brown paper bag to control my hyperventilating.






Don’t you think Christmas is the ultimate test for the working mother? It’s like it taunts you, ‘you’ve made it this far in the year, but can you handle.… Christmas??’

Last year I decided it’d be a good idea to spend this Christmas with my brother and his family in the Middle East. He works for an airline so we can mostly get pretty good deals. But as it’s turned out, Christmas is kinda busy, so the cheapest way to get my partner and kids there is via the really, really cheap (ie cramped/no movies) airline to Kuala Lumpa and a connecting flight to the Middle East. What I failed to realise until yesterday, was the far cheaper way for me to get there, is first class with my brother’s airline.

I pondered how to break the news and decided a message on Partner’s phone would be best. ‘So, just realised….’ I started, and ended with ‘..really, no, really, I’m only doing this to save us money.’

It’s not quite finalised, but the picture so far is him and kids, hoping there’s something decent left on that food trolley when it finally makes its way to them, while I’m in my own suite, with a bed and French champagne.

Yes, I feel bad. I will get over it. It really is just to help the budget...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha, I know this so well and I'm normally in your hubby's position. I did it on Korean Airlines - no entertainment systems for the kids so that's pretty much torture.

Melissa said...

Im bringing in my supply of paper bags so you are always prepared!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, not sure i could do that?
BTW, this is my 3rd attempt to leave a comment - clearly Google doesn't like wordpress bloggers!!

Anonymous said...

You should be ashamed of yourself. Good. Now have a bloody good time in the pointy end.

Mother Who Works said...

I'm going to take the sound advise of 7.35. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I have the same reaction when I answer the ringing phone and it is my other on the end. Guess what darling, we're coming to visit................

Take first class all the way MWW!!

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...