Sunday 2 June 2019

Lake Tyrell

Ever heard of it? Neither had I until I saw an article in the RACV magazine and was inspired to take our annual Easter camping trip there.

It's about four hours north of Melbourne and, apparently, a favourite destination for Chinese tourists, of which we saw quite a few.

And it is spectacular! I'm no photographer, but check out these shots.









As it was Easter, there was a full moon, but other times when it's darker the view of the stars is remarkable - check out this image from the web



 The lake was a mostly dry crust of salt when we were there. The water is artesian and in winter, creates a mirror-like effect.

It didn't disappoint. It was amazing.

However, I'd booked 4 nights at the Sea Lake caravan park. I'm not sure why Sea Lake is called Sea Lake - I assume because the lake is salty like the sea? Anyway, when I rang, I was told bookings weren't required, even at Easter - and we found out why. Turned out, it was more your stop-over kind of camping spot rather than a 'settle in for 4 nights' - as you'll see from the photo below.

There was a bathroom, a camp kitchen with hot water and a microwave, but yeah, the kids were pretty underwhelmed. There's not even a pub (although encouragingly, the one there is under renovation) and no wineries with live music, no activities, no wi-fi - in fact, there's pretty much... nothing.




The girls were using the term 'trapped' which was captured in this pic when we visited Swan Hill Pioneer Settlement (which is actually pretty good!).


I eventually caved and we came home after three nights.

Anyway, don't be put off!! Lake Tyrell is absolutely spectacular and well worth a visit - just no need to settle in!

No comments:

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...