Sunday 9 April 2017

Row your boat

I rowed at school and college in boats where we all had one oar and someone to steer (the cox).

When Elle had a shot at rowing in Year 10, the mothers were invited to have a go. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it.

That was a few years ago - so in the interim, I've been lucky enough to join an existing crew and got back to paddling! But wasn't I surprised when I was handed two oars!! That's a 'quad four'.

But never mind all that.

The point is, we're a little bit competitive so decided to row in the World Masters in New Zealand. In fact, in just a couple of weeks time.

Once registered, we discovered there was no event for a coxed quad four so were forced to tackle the one-oared 'sweep'. It's slower and a lot harder to balance - but after 5 months of blood, sweat and giggles, we've achieved adequacy. So much so, we actually won a medal yesterday!

Yes - I am holding a gin & tonic - they just 'go' with rowing!


We did commit to spending as much time in wine bars as we did on the water - but the water is winning. We'll do our best to rectify that in New Zealand.

We've spent a good amount of time planning our team outfits, including this stunning gold luxe bomber jacket. That should intimidate the competition! Hopefully it won't be our only gold.


I'll let you know how we go!

1 comment:

JayBee said...

Good on you and good luck in NZ. JBxx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...