Sunday 16 March 2014

Musical March

It's been a big month of music.

We saw Dan Sultan at The Corner Hotel in Richmond and he's hot! His music is pretty good too. It also helped that Missy Higgins made a surprise appearance to help him out on one number and she is just mesmerising.


Next was the Labour Day long weekend Port Fairy Folk Festival. A three hour drive from Melbourne, we shared a cottage with friends within a three minute stroll to the entrance gate in one direction and the centre of town in the other. It's such a privilege to be presented with eight tented venues inside the festival in addition to free performances at various locations around town. But don't be fooled - much of the talent 'outside' the festival was as good, and in some cases even better, than what was on the inside. Buddha In A Chocolate Box being on case in point - who sound very like a folksy version of Pearl Jam if you can even imagine! And if you can't, here's one of their tracks on Triple J's Jukebox.

I also stumbled into a tent and heard a guy called Michael Waugh, who's lyrics could cause a grown man to lose control of his emotions and tear-up. Check out this haunting ballad on his website's homepage.

There was the legendary Archie Roach and we caught Ash Grumwald in the Shebeen where is was absolute packed with a raging middle-aged crowd and steaming hot but the rosé was deliciously cold. Could there be a more perfect Sunday afternoon?

Ash


The Stray Sisters who are the chicks from The Waifs, did two of my all time faves -  London Still which speaks to anyone who's done a long stint in the old dart, and Bridal Train. Plus the girls were just funny, warm and very engaging entertainers.

Vikki Thorn - The Stray Sisters/The Waifs


The kids loved it too - I can recommend it for all ages. The beach at Port Fairy is perfect for a glorious morning walk or jog and there's good coffee and food at Rebecca's to follow.

Back in town, we saw Neil Finn this week. Oh dear. I've been in trouble before for blogging about Neil's concert with Paul Kelly  but now I'm going to have to 'dis' Neil. I don't like his new stuff and the band was just too over powering. He seems to have slipped into a very happy and comfortable middle age - and I'm happy for him, really I am - I just think his work was much better when he was a tortured youth. He did a few of the Crowded House songs - just him and his guitar - and I was in absolute heaven. Just what I'd hoped for. But more of that and less of the band would have worked for me.

And to wrap up the month, we're off to The Rolling Stones at Hanging Rock on the 30th. I believe Geoff sold a kidney to buy the tickets so hopefully that'll be amazing! I'll let you know.






5 comments:

Fashionista said...

Hello Mother Who Works. I thought I would let you know about Rockin' The Reserve on 29th March (although it might clash with your Stones gig). James Reyne, Cate Cebrano, The Chantoozies, Phil Cebrano. There is a facebook page with all the info on it.

And on another tangent, did you enjoy the INXS TV mini-series?

Oh and have you ever been to the Oakleigh RSL on a Friday night? I think it is "promoted" by Caravan Music and we have seen some great bands there. And some ordinary ones too but, you know, the drinks are cheap and it is usually a fun night regardless.

Mother Who Works said...

Hi there Fashionista, no I didn't know bout Rockin' the Reserve so thanks for that. And yes - say Episode 1 of INXS and missed the second because we were on that bloody ship!!! Must chase that up as I heard that one ws even better than the first.
We haven't been to the Oakleigh RSL but definitely know about it! Last time we were meant to go to see Mark Seymour (swoooooon) and it was sold out!!! So yes - thanks for the reminder - I'll get my better half to keep his ears peeled. Maybe I'll see you there sometime!!! MWWx

JayBee said...

Pity about The Stones MWW but I'm guessing you would have already seen them on a previous visit. Mick can certainly still strut his stuff. I can hardly believe it is 50 years since I saw the Beatles.

Mother Who Works said...

I haven't ever seen the stones JayBee - so I'm am very sad but am guessing Mick is much sadder so fair enough.I can't believe you saw the Beetles 50 years ago - you're far too young!!!! MWWx

JayBee said...

My first husband -to -be stopped me from screaming MWW and wasn't that a precursor of things to come!!!!!!!!!
x

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...