Monday 17 December 2012

A stranger - the other perspective

So my last post was about a stranger who was no help at all. But it got me thinking about other strangers who have been enormously touching.

While in Modesto, where George has been airlifted, I went to a T Mobile shop to buy more credit for the phone. The gorgeous girl in the shop - of JLo-like beauty - was fascinated by a tourist in her home town.
'How come you're in Modesto', she asked?
'Oh, we're just driving around in our RV, having a look', I deflected.
'How long are you here?' she asked, again amazed that anyone would be more than passing through. She was so lovely I decided to come clean.
'Actually, our son is in the hospital and we're not sure how long we'll be here', I admitted.
'How's he doing?' she asked, probably thinking broken limb.
'Not great. He's on life support.' Her shock was visible.
'Oh my god, I am so sorry', she offered with sincerity. 'Seriously, if you need anything - if you want to know where to eat or need a park or anything - come by the shop. This is Travis,' she said, introducing her colleague behind the counter, 'he'll be here tomorrow, but I'm here all next week. But if you need anything, please, just call.'

She handed me a card with her name - Angel.


3 comments:

Mother Who Works said...

You're areso right Sam. The people at the hospital on the ICU ward also demontrated such care and generosity - we were overwhelmed. MWWxx

Samantha said...

Love the name at the end! How much those little acts of kindness matter when everything else is going so overwhelmingly badly.

Anonymous said...

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I
guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your
blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for first-time blog writers? I'd genuinely appreciate
it.

Feel free to surf to my page - internet marketing system - sethaalexander.com
-

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...