Monday 19 September 2011

Twilight

You’ve probably read the books and seen the movies. I read the first book to the oldest two when they were 13 and 15 and they were pretty underwhelmed. I must admit, if Edward ran his lips over Bella’s jaw line once more, I think I was going to throw up. It was light on the promised UST (Unresolved Sexual Tension) and heavy on the tedium.

And am I the only one who thinks there’s something fundamentally wrong with a 105 year old (albeit, Vampire) lusting after a 16 year old?? Screams pedophile to me.

But I know it’s extremely popular for many girls and women, so I was somewhat alarmed when Mahli at work talked about one of the books insinuating that you lose your soul if you have sex before marriage.

Stephanie Meyer is a Mormon and in an article I read, when challenged with the idea that her books promoted the religion, she said that wasn’t her agenda, but as a Mormon, naturally her values are portrayed in the books.

That’s fair enough, but I realised some of my friends, whose daughters were drinking up these books, had no idea of these ‘messages’. I rang one with views similar to my own and she immediately said she was going to clarify the pre-marital sex issue with her 16 year old.

(Can I say here and now, that this is merely my point of view that sex before marriage is fine. Obviously that’s my position as I’m not married and am the mother of four – and they’re not adopted. But I appreciate it’s not everyone’s view.)

I was on a mission. E, then 11, was just getting into the Twilight movies, so for some crazy reason, I thought I should ‘warn’ her.

“E, you know that it’s okay to have sex before marriage,” I blurted out as I was driving her to Scouts.
“Mum, why are you telling me this?! I’m 11!”
“Because Mahli told me that the Twilight books say you lose your soul if you do. And that’s not true.”
“I still don’t know why you’re telling me this….”
“Well, when should I tell you?”
“How’s old is Mahli?”
“23?”
“Yeah – well, maybe tell me when I’m 23.”

I suspect that might be a tad late...


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt Muse ever thought their biggest fans would be Mormons and pre-teen girls either.

Fashionista said...

When Miss13 was 10 she was desperate to read the Twilight series, "all my friends are Mum!". I started the first, thought it was pretty ordinary and decided not to waste my time continuing as I could seek my SIL's advice as she had read them all. She advised the messages were probably not appropriate for Miss13 (then 10) so we left it a couple of years. When Miss13 got around to reading the first one (then aged 12) she was underwhelmed and didn't bother with the rest. When I asked why her answer was, "it's all fake fantasy crap, I'd rather read real stories". But this is a girl who loves Australian war history and who thinks Peter FitzSimmon's door stopper "Tobruk" is an easy read..... She could sprout whole sections of it when we went to El Alamain last year....

And I thought your sex before marriage chat with E was hilarious, LOL so much I almost spat my latte on to the laptop!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately some of these series of books [ for boys and girls] can be "underwhelming" or just plain crap! There is so much good literature out there says preaching JB.
Glad you didn't accompany your premarital sex talk with a prescription for the pill and a packet of condoms - that would have been the last gasp for E!! - although I believe oral sex is more popular with the young sexually active these days

Mother Who Works said...

Oh JB!!! Is that a fact?? No - E is a way off that. No indication of any interest in the opposite sex - but I'll give it to the end of the year!

And Fashionista, yes, it might be an idea for once in my life to actually think before I speak - but hey, where would the surprise be?
MWWxx

Anonymous said...

A Fact!! and young boys demanding brazilians on g / friends too!! JBx

Mother Who Works said...

I'm finding your knowledge on this subject disturbing!!! NWWxx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...