Tuesday 2 June 2015

Apple Of My Eye

It's funny, isn't it? How as parents, we believe our children are so amazing that we imbue them with all kinds of talents they don't actually have? But no - I speak not of my own children, but my father, my siblings and me.

Let me give you an example:
One of my brothers is a pilot for a Middle Eastern airline that entitles my parents to some lovely, up-the-front deals. They were due to travel on one of the first planes offering in-flight shower facilities. Here's how that conversation went:

Dad             So do you get an allocated time during the flight to have your shower?
Brother       I don't know Dad, I've never been on it.
Dad            Is there a time limit for how long you can be in there?
Brother       I don't know Dad, I've never been on it.
Dad            Do they give you shampoo and soap?
Brother      I don't know Dad, I've never been on it.

I believe it was about then that Dad did in fact believe that my brother wasn't just holding out. He actually didn't know. But it took quite a few goes before he could come to terms with the fact that there was something - and something to do with planes no less! - that his son did not know.

Similarly, whilst visiting said brother a few years back, we took a side trip with Mum and Dad to Jordan. I had arranged a guide for the duration, starting at the airport. Having collected our bags, here's how that conversation panned out:

Dad        Righto MWW! Which way do we go?
Me         I don't know Dad, I've never been here
Dad       So what does this bloke meeting us look like?
Me        I don't know Dad, I've never seen him.....

Anyway, it is very sweet that Dad believes my brothers and I are the Google of his eye.

No comments:

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...