Monday 23 March 2015

The Course

I've undertaken a course. I've been wanting to do it for a couple of years and did a few things to prepare - like getting onto a NFP board. Finally, my chance arrived and I jumped in head first!

Truth be known, I am an unmitigated nerd.

I received the course reading material and a link to the pre-course course, 'Interpreting Financial Statements' which I launched into immediately. It took a few hours on a Saturday afternoon but I passed, printed off my own certificate and posted in to Facebook.
Do I know you? commented a friend I used to work with. Clearly I'd managed to hide my inner-nerd from her!

The pre-reading was estimated to take 30+ hours. In my case it was probably 60+ as I set myself my own little memory tests and Googled the unfamiliar. In fact, it took me to the Sunday before it started to get it done.

The course started last Monday. I tried to look like a proper business person, really I did. I had my nails done in a neutral beige - no green, blue, black, metallic, fluro or pastel -  I wore a black dress and didn't drop the f-bomb once!  

Not sure I nailed it. 

Maybe the it was the hooker shoes, the visible tattoo or the striped feathers and/or purple extensions in my hair - but they seemed to notice I wasn't one of them.

There were drinks after day one. I grabbed a glass of sparkling water and stood there for a bit before one of the guys from the organisation that runs the course came over and spoke to me. He was friendly. He popped over to get a drink and I swear - I was standing there again, wedged in between about 15 people and not one of them spoke to me or attempted to include me in the conversations going on around me. Shag on a rock. I was forced to wait for the 'host' to rescue me. It was so humiliating. Here's me on the phone to my business partner, telling her it was like day one at school and discovering none of the kids like you :(



Anyway, as the week rolled on, it did get better. In fact, by Friday, I had found some amazing people I was keen to connect with. (Although when I was telling the girls about one guy, who really was extremely impressive, Sass asked Are you going to ditch Dad?! For the record - no!) Also by Friday I'd let go of all attempts to fit in wardrobe-wise and went straight for the gold jeans and alpaca fur shrug. 

Now I just need to complete my assignment (suggested hours: 20-30, at the rate I do things, probably 50+) and a 2 1/2 hour exam and I'm done!

So if you've been wondering what's happened to the frequency of posts, now you know! 

No comments:

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...